classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Exhaust balance pipe question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Exhaust balance pipe question Reply with quote

My stag as you may know is a V8, with a separate exhaust for each side of the V, but has a balance pipe connecting the two exhausts together.

What is the purpose of this pipe? ( I'm assuming it balances something!)

I ask this because today borrowed a CO2 tester as I wanted to set the carbs up, there is one carb per side and I thought that I would adjust each carb individually with the tester in the same side pipe as it would be like setting up 2, 4 cylinder engines, however its not as simple as that because one side influences the other due to this balance pipe!
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This system of 'X-Pipe' is to even the exhaust flow between both banks.
This aids power and also makes the exhaust sound nicer, like a V8 and not two 4-cylinder engines running side by side.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant resist answering this one!

V8 engines post a problem in that most of them use a 90 degree 2 plane crankshaft. To produce the best power, 180 degree crossover headers would produce the best power. The trouble is, its just about impossible to fir them under the bonnet. So, what is used is the 4 into one system that is meant for 180 degree cranks. This means that a balance pipe becomes needed.

The ones that have been in use for years are what are known as H-pipes. X-pipes are a relatively recent development. Over simplified, the thoughts behind them is to equalise gas flow when two cylinders on the same bank fire close together, and on the other bank no cylinders are firing. With a correctly designed X-pipe, the typical V8 sound will change a lot....

Going away from cars for a moment, if you take a look at some motorcycles, eg BMW's, Moto Guzzis, the balance pipe (H-style) is near the silencers. This is mostly to quieten the engine. On say, older (Meriden)Triumphs, the balance pipe is near the exhaust port. This increases torque. The same things work on car engines, or at least, if it was possible to put the pipe near the exhaust port....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: