classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin 7 [1936]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ben

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Austin 7 [1936] Reply with quote

Hi,

Having problems with an Austin 7 1936 the engine has no signs of any problems having not been used for a while. The car starts first time, but when driving along changing from 2nd into 3rd gear proves the problem. It feels like there is a loss of power. Even having the revs very high and the speed at what would be in the range of 3rd gear. Any solutions/suggestions would be fantasic,

Regards Ben benscarrow@gawab.com
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assume you've checked the usual stuff first, like mixture and timing?

Rick
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch slipping?
benscarrow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response's. The timing and mixture have been checked. Also the time since the clutch was checked wasnt that long ago, so I believe those things have been eliminated.

Any other thoughts would be welcome, regards Ben
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you accelerate, and the engine's revs increase but there is no (or little) acceleration, then it does sound like the clutch - either adjustment, or perhaps oil on the linings. Are these the symptoms you're getting?

Rick
benscarrow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you reply. The problem only happens in third gear (forth is unknown due to not being able to get there!), therefore I don't think it would be a clutch problem (unless I'm mistaken). Thanks again Ben
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably would notice clutch problems in each gear, now could it be a brake shoe draging? at speed generates heat? I've seen some of these newer style organic (non-asbestoes) shoes swell up after sitting in the weather. An interesting problem! will be good to know how it turns out. Keep us posted. tt
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wondered with old British iron, you are changing into 2nd then 3rd while still little more than walking pace, and only really beginning to gain speed in 3rd and 4th, at which point it might start displaying clutch related problems such as slip? I know in my Ford pickup (slow admittedly) I'm in top really quickly, the lower gears just get me moving from a standstill Smile

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: