classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New / Old stock advice please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
PACresta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: New / Old stock advice please Reply with quote

Would like your opinions / suggestions regarding new / old stock wheel cylinders. Is it advisable to dismantle cylinders and lubricate seals etc before fitting? I had heard that a "red rubber" grease is used on assembly, any views on this?
If it is best to dismantle what do you think its best to lubricate with?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and ideas Smile
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work with a lot of seals on crop sprayers and they all hade to be lubricated with red rubber grease, to prolong life. It is about the best stuff to use on any rubber seal, and is cheap too!

Otherwise I used to use petrolem jelly (Vasaline) sometimes.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy is correct about using the red grease, although personally I never use it on NOS brake parts.

My own method is to strip the cylinders, clean them, re-assemble with new, not NOS seals, and as I am doing this, copiously lubricating with the brake fluid that I am going to use.

Going against popular opinion, I never use silicone fluid.
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular reason for not going with silicone? or do you just replace the mineral stuff regularly anyway so avoid the problems with moisture getting into it over time?

I've not used silicone myself, and I've heard that you have to replace everything in the braking system, before introducing it to the car.

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have a reason for not going with silicone brake fluid. I found out a while ago that it has a tendency to attack certain types of seals, in much the same way as using Girling fluid in a Lockheed system did "back in the day!"

I'm not saying that the case is still the same, as materials have likely been changed, but I am not going to take any chances. I use Dot 4, usually changing it as part of servicing, which I carry out once at the seasons start, once at the seasons end.

This may seem a bit exaggerated, but it works for me!
PACresta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear you change the seals for new ones UJ, i suppose then its a matter of finding a good supplier for getting the correct seals?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats correct. New seals aren't usually that hard to get hold of, at least for my cars.

Really, the only reason that I change them is because I have suspicions that they have hardened with age, and brakes are something that I refuse to take chances with.
PACresta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep with you on that one UJ, not worth risking anything with brakes. But i reckon i will be hard pushed to get new seals for my motor, all the kits available seem to be old stock.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA, if you can post a photo of them, with a few details (size, etc.), I'll see if they ring any bells. With luck, if I cant suggest a supplier, someone else can.
PACresta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated uj, i will sort something over the next few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: