classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Veteran Car Club Dating Panel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Veteran Car Club Dating Panel Reply with quote

For those with very old cars, membership of the VCC is de rigeur but recently there has been a fight between the VCC itself and VCSL (Veteran Car Services Ltd) Dating Panel.

This is an interesting subject if only because of the way it has presented itself as an internicine dispute between Club Exec and Sub-committee but it has serious ramifications for people like me with an undated car. There has always been a fight to get cars on the cusp of teh London to Brighton Run (LBVR) eligibility dated as 1904 rather than 1905 and the rules have always been clear. The financial difference is huge with LBVR cars selling for 2 or 3 times the price of the same car built only weeks later and it is only right that cars of that period are dated carefully. The problem has arisen that the Dating Panel has be redating cars in the light of new information without being asked and in EVERY case (so I'm told) the car has be re-dated younger.

In my case the car is almost certainly 1912 or 1913. The records are incomplete but the engine number corresponds to Nov 1912 - Feb 1913 period and it makes little difference which year it is. My problem is that if I go for VCC dating and it is refused then the car is forever tainted although I'd be delighted to get a certificate of eligibility which says "this is a genuine Veteran/Edwardian car but we cannot prove an exact date of manufacture".

Does anyone on this fine forum know any more information or have a point of view on it
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some very interesting discussions with people on both sides of the fence recently and it seems we, the VCC members are not being told everything, probably by both sides!

Shame, if it's not sorted out soon then the VCC will lose it's place as THE dating authority.

Meanwhile I've had an offer of help with my [paperwork] project from a former panel member and a very keen amateur and I am very grateful that the individuals in the Club are such nice people.
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read "Toad's" comments in this months "Automobile" on this subject?
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
The whole thing is a mess with both sides accusing the other of the identical thing. I can sense a subtext but having only been 'on the scene' for a few months what do I know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: