classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Sidevalve Re-Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Rods still with grease on.
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big ends are not a seperate item on these conrods.
Will they be a straight bolt on or will some scraping be required?
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the time spent trying to sort the rods, the option I've gone for is to have the crank ground again! because these rods are 40 thou undersized.
Not really an ideal way but to be honest the chances of me having to strip the engine again for just general wear are pretty slim so it doesn't really matter.
At least this way the rods are new, are not twisted and they're Ford items, also the old ones have worn small ends as well so it also solves that problem. Very Happy
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey that's nice! Puts mine to shame. Did you restore it? My grandad used to work on these in the 50s and he told me Ford painted a thin yellow line along the length of the fan blade rather than the white tips. Is that right? He seems to know a lot about them.
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,
Thank you, no I haven't restored the car as it has never been touched from factory. It's not what you would call 'concours' but very good condition.
being totally standard with original Paint etc was one of the main reasons why I bought it, I even have the original Dealer Bill of sale as well.
As regards the fan blade, your Grandfather may well be right, but I didn't think mine had anything on the Blades until on removing the Engine and taking the Dynamo off, I could still see original White paint on the 'Tips' on the radiator side. I even measured the width of the paint so it would be exactly the same when I re-painted them! Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes (I know............Anorach!) Very Happy
Any way good to see pictures of yours on here, keep them coming,
All the Best,
Greg
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Rebuild Reply with quote

Greg pictures of your rebuild looks great you are doing a fine job am

enjoying seeing your progress would have been fun lumping the block up

4 flights of stairs not to mention the neighbours stairs wait till you start rebuilding the rest of the car will it fit in your apartment ...just kidding I

lifted the ford 10 engine out of my fordson truck manually it is certainly a

heavy weight was just in a hurry next time will use the chain block

brentnz
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rustyreks, Very Happy Very Happy It was quite funny last Saturday as we took it down the stairs, strapped to a trolley! Rolling Eyes
Didn't really want it indoors but no garage! so no choice but it was good to sit in the warm grinding valves whilst watching T.V Laughing
The Engine is in and running,(still a bit tight at the moment so I have to stick 12 volts up it just to turn it over!)
Haven't had time to get on the computer as each evening has been spent 'Tinkering'.....leaky fuel pipes, adjusting clutch etc.
Runs really well so far, just needs to be 'Run-In' so that I can get it to run really smooth.
Hopefully tomorrow it will have it's first trip out on the road Shocked
Drove it tonight along the car park after getting the engine to running temp. there was a lot of steam! Shocked ........the top hose had popped off the Head, so it just needs trimming as it is quite long.
Will post some pictures as soon as I can,
All the Best,
Greg
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: as posted... Reply with quote

Greg,
look forward to your next set of pics.
regards
Flywheel.( john)
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JR, sorry for the delay in reply, but my Sister who lives in France has got Married, so it was over to France for the Wedding last weekend then this weekend just gone She had a 'Blessing Ceramony' in this country.
I was really trying to get the Pop Engine done so that I could take it down to Margate area, where my Parents now live, to take the Groom, (now Husband), to the Church.
Well it made it there and back with no problems and is now 'Run-In' and sounds and feels better than ever, so now it's time to change the oil!
Here are a few pictures, hopefully I will soon post one of the official Photo's as there was one taken of the two cars, the other being a Studerbaker.

JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: As posted Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting your photos on here. I think its interesting to see how someone else's car is progressing. The engine and car pictures look great.

well done.

regards JRF Smile
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh! Pop Black! Wink

That is gorgeous. Congratulations.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely job Greg!
I am most interested in your comments concerning fitting shells as a replacement for white metalling. I am led to believe that shells are much less tolerant of "dirty oil" by which I mean less well filtered oil. Shells are intended for use with "modernish" full flow filtration systems. Older engines are often poorer in this respect (my Jowett has an oil strainer only). I guess that today oils are changed with greater frequency and mileages less, so this may be less of a concern, but does anyone else have views on this?
Greg

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much chaps.
Paul, regarding the Shells, I don't really know to be honest.You're probably right, it seems when you talk to people about older vehicles there are a lot of 'opinions', it's just trying to find the 'tried & tested' methods that actually work that seems to be the hard bit. I have had people say shells are better when starting the engine from cold. Also that it's best to stick with white metal,(from a person who builds 'Racing Austin 7 Engines), because if something were to go wrong with a big end you get more of a warning, whereas a shell is more likely to sieze straight away?. I don't know.
In the end the way I viewed it was if white metal was good enough for Ford to use, it's good enough for me Very Happy as they know a lot more about it than I do Very Happy Very Happy
As you say, interesting to see what other peoples views are.
Many Thanks,
Greg
rabbito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: manifold Reply with quote

Greg could you please tell me how you achieved the finish on the out let manifold as well as the inlet manifold .I must say it looks great
hope to hear from you
rabbito
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rabbito,
Thank you, I just cleaned the parts thoroughly with a wire brush etc and painted them with 'Heat resistant' paint.
The finish on the exhaust manifold didn't last too long if I remember rightly as it soon burnt off as usual Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: