classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris minor brake parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Morris minor brake parts. Reply with quote

Just working on the brakes of my A7 special, the front brakes are (modified) Morris Minor units. All parts seem to be available except a little spring loaded link that fits from the centre of the shoe fillet to the back plate in order to hold the shoe square to the drum. Not being able to find any when I originally built the special I fitted a ‘bodge’ made out of split pins.
As a result, after several thousand miles very little of the linings contact the drum when braking.
If anyone can help me I need, either a source of these parts, or the dimensions in order to make my own.

Don.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don

is the spring a "beehive" shape?

if so is this what you are after

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=821_824&products_id=436&osCsid=c211c1828296645111658d589be64b99

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UK.

No idea what shape it is not having any on the car. I had a Minor in the 60s and seem to remember something like a zeus fastener with a spring and collar? but my memory may be at fault.

Don.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been on to ESM spares, they were very helpful and told me the part has not been made for years? Ho hum!

Going to use a 6mm bolt, a couple of Belville washers and a Nylok nut.
Just skimming the brake drums; when the new shoes arrive I'm hoping for something resembling 50s braking at least. Confused

Don.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what happens to the brake shoe if the part is not fitted; it will rub all the time.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/donthebat/pigtinbrake.jpg
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a day's work I've just fitted the drums back on, Had assumed the Morris Minor conversions to the Austin backplates was professional, or at least competent... it was crap. Don't know how I didn't notice it when I built the car originally? Anyway, having ground a lump out of the side of the new shoes and drilled some new holes it might work. Evil or Very Mad

Don.
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much grinding and drilling I finally made the front brake system acceptable. But ended up changing all the cylinders because I couldn't stop the pedal going to the floor. The Master Cylinder was OK when I started, but by the process of elimination it wasn't now.
The quote for the Reliant Kitten dual unit was £145, with s/h reservoir fitted. I logged on to the R3W Reliant site and they suggested that a Land Rover Mk3 Clutch Master cylinder might work, but a lot of pedal pressure might be needed. I sourced a new one on ebay for a unbelievable £9 plus VAT and post... It works perfectly. Stops at a touch. I am a happy bunny now Laughing Laughing

Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: