classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Best air system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Best air system Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been doing a bit of spraying on the Chevy - with cans - and was thinking of upgrading to air system. I could then get other air tools as well.

What's the best system to get, what are the costs.

All the best.
D
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant answer as to the costs, but my advice is to get the biggest compressor you can afford. today, you may only want a compressor to spray with. But in the future, I would expect that you would like to use it for other things, such as grinding, drilling and so on. My own compressor is rated something like 650l/min at 6 bar. its about right, but in some instances could be larger, even if its just to keep noise levels down. The last thing that is needed in a workshop is to have a compressor running permanently, both for noise and its own life expectancy.

This point was touched on in another topic, called spray gun I think. There is a chart on there that shows the typical amount of air needed to spray.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a start I would go for a 100ltr tank and a belt driven one NOT a normal direct drive, they just do stand up to the abuse, the belt drivens are quieter and if the motor needs replacing later its very easy to upgrade or change
You probably need to spend as much on quality accessories too
Hoses, filters, water separators, and fittings like bayonet type are not cheap
I have retractable hoses that tidy back into a drum automatically, a god send if you are in a confined space as you will be forever tripping over trailing hoses and if you are spraying they kick up dust

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular makes that are good/bad.

I have a machinemart (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/) close to me - any recommendations from this?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with everything Greeney says about the spec., apart from one point. I would go for a bigger tank if possible.

My own personal favourite compressors are the italian ABAC if you can get hold of one. Machine Mart seems to concentrate on Clarke, which is a brand that I have seen too many people have to many problems with...

I'd like to read other peoples views on this, but there are probably 3 or 4 tools that you will end up buying for use with compressed air. Obviously, the spray gun. A DA sander, a Cut Off wheel, and a Die Grinder. Make sure the compressor will cope with these.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machine mart is good just buy the best you can afford and don't forget to buy a decent mask for spraying
I bought a blueline clarke (if they still do it) it served me well for (5yrs and now my business partner has used it for 5yrs, that is constantly every day with only a couple of belt changes and I broke the switch off it so had to replace it

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! The exception that proves the rule? Laughing

Sorry Greeney, couldnt resist that. I suppose though, thinking about things, Machine Mart is a big outlet, so therefore its only reasonable to assume that there are more faulty machines, simply because they sell more.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked their site, they do indeed still sell the blue range.
They also have 150ltr tanks, the only problem with bigger tanks UJ is the stowage and they tend to be 3phase, ok if you live in France as most of our electricity is 3phase here but no good in the UK. I do agree with you though and there is the possibility of stowing outside with a weatherproof box over it but remembering it needs to draw in air so will need an air vent.
My 100ltr is small enough to wheel around but big enough for general use although spraying a whole car it needs to catch up

Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy No need to apologise, we must have been posting at the same time I wrote that without seeing your post until after it uploaded Shocked
Its no difference to the "friday car" I am sure some are good some are bad.
Thats why I said go for the best he can afford not just the best price in the end its false economy to buy cheap especially tools

dalbuie

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely loom for one with a 100+ tank.

Cheers
D
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, get the biggest tank you can get. You can get vertical tanks that take up less space. As Greeney also said a retractable hose is great. Aldi supermarket does one for about £30. Once you have a large compressor, the air tools you can get will out last the electric equivalent. My favorite air tool is the grit blaster for all those old parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: