classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Avro Lancaster graveyard at RAF Wroughton, No.15 MU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Avro Lancaster graveyard at RAF Wroughton, No.15 MU Reply with quote

I know a few people here also have an interest in old aircraft, so I thought I'd post this here in case anyone has any pics of this 'burial ground' after the war???

"The reason for me making contact is hoping to enlist your help if I can... I work for a furniture manufacturing company right next door to former RAF Wroughton now the science museum... Having agreat interest in world war two aircraft and the airfields in the Uk recently i have met local people of that period who talk about the Lancaster bombers that were scrapped at RAF Wroughton by No.15 Maintance unit who were stationed at Wroughton until the airfield became a Navy station in the 1970,s.

Upon hearing these stories I have searched the internet for such pictures of these Lancasters at Wroughton no matter what I put in the google or other search engines I seem to draw a blank... Have any of your contacts know of or have got pictures of this Lancaster bomber grave yard or alternatively can you recommend sites that would contain this material."

Rick

(Is there enough interest here in old aircraft to have its own category I wonder??)
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I have a contact that may possibly be able to shed some light on this, if there is any to be shed that is. Is it OK to pass the query on to him?

Why not mix old aircraft in with th motorcycle section, and call it miscellaneous vehicles not catered for elsewhere or something?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Rick, I have a contact that may possibly be able to shed some light on this, if there is any to be shed that is. Is it OK to pass the query on to him?

by all means!

Uncle Joe wrote:
Why not mix old aircraft in with th motorcycle section, and call it miscellaneous vehicles not catered for elsewhere or something?

may just do that Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an uncle who died a few years ago who was a flight engineer during the war in a Lincoln bomber and just as we were all coming out of the crematorium in York a Lincoln flew overhead very low. There were a few of his old colleagues there who must have organised it. Very emotional it was.
I remember years ago he told me they were shot down over the south coast of England by a Junkers 88 (I think that is how you spell it ) and he landed on the apex of a farmhouse roof and broke his back.The farmer was ready to shoot him as he thought he was a Jerry until he asked him to get help in his broad Yorkshire accent.
The Time team have dug up a few bombers as well. Great stories attached to them.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Hi Rick.....The museum of flight at East Fortune near Dunbar may be able to help you there. They may even have a website. Classic car shows were held there up until a couple of years ago but have since stopped. Used to love looking at all the aircraft in the hangars.
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live not far from the Spitfire factory at Castle Bromwich (Now Jaguar). There were stories that shortly after the end of the war, thousands of Spitfire parts were dumped in pits on the airfield, which is now Castle Vale housing estate. I would doubt that anything would be of any use if it were true and someone dug them up.
I was thinking about the condition of the 1957 Plymouth Belvedere that was in a time capsule for 50 years.........that was so sad Confused
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should've submerged that Plymouth in treacle or molasses... Wink Laughing

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Plymouth, now known as Miss Belvedere, is being restored as we speak...there is a site devoted to it somewhere on the net.

Going back to the aircraft graveyard, it is rumoured that there is a Lancaster buried under the M62.....
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you missed it..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7404554.stm

(At 100ft.)
P3steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Aircraft scrap yards Reply with quote

Back in the late 60s I would visit an uncle who lived on the Oxford road in Swindon, down the side of his house was a foot path that lead to some allotments and then to a foot bridge over the London to Bristol main line, between the allotments and the railway was a scrap yard which was full of ww2 type aircraft some just sections of bodys others like a row of Dakotas standing almost complete, many of the sectioned bodys were I believe Lancs they were all black on the underside with brown and green camo top sides with large roundles on the body sides but I was too young to remember to much detail. In those days no one worked on a sunday and the yard was empty so we would slip through one of the many gaps in the fence (even part of the fence was one of the lanc bodies pushed in to plug a big gap) and explore the yard playing in the aircraft - we even found a parachute in a locker on one dakota. I just wish I had been older so as to remember more details and even to have had the forthought to take a few photos, the site was cleared in the 1970s and is now a housing estate. Steve
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the burial grounds, according to a book that I have in my hand just now, there is a complete Lancaster buried under the M62 near Warrington....I wonder how true that is, or is it just another urban or watime myth?
P3steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Swindon srapyard Reply with quote

following on from the Swindon scrapyard the housing estate which is on the site of the scrap yard is the Sandgate estate just off the Oxford road on the east side of Swindon
P3steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Buried Aircraft Reply with quote

This one pops up from time to time all over the country Near were I live in Norfolk is Ludum airfild an old fighter base and out station from coltishall (I think that's spelt right) as its one of the first airfilde you reach as you cross the Norfolk coast It was used as an emergancy field for returning American bombers and there is supposed to be one buried there that was to badly damaged to be repaired, Ive done some detecting there and found all sorts of bits (With the local farmers permision) who say he knowes where it is but wont tell and strange enough there are a couple of fields he wont let me check out even though he gives me full access to the rest of the site, sort of makes you wonder eh. Steve
old gto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t know if this will help, or if it is of any interest, but I found this on a Google search for ....."Vintage RAF Warbirds"
The Arvo Lancaster is listed. is it the one you`re talking about?

http://www.classicaircraft.co.uk/aircraftphotos.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: