classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Today
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Today Reply with quote

Hi

I have been reading all of my electrics books this morning, going to go and have a play with my Ford and try to get it charging this pm, had enough of it messing me about! hehe

Then going to adjust the advance retard slightly to see if it effects/betters the running rich, very rich problem, but in your expert oppinion if you read this before I leave to play, which should I try first further advance or furth retard?

Cheers

Dave

P.s.. Blimin heck, run out of water this morning, and for some reason the tap water here is horrible, so just found the only liquid I can drink, cranberry juice, by gome it is strong, it is long out of date, so think it must have femented a little! yuk!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, I am less than impressed, followed my book cleaned all the dynamo up, and tested that, fine, then cleaned all the points in a reg, put that back on, and what do you know, still not seeming to charge, however the battery seems to be on about 6V all of the time, obviously not when cranking.

What is the voltage meant to be when engine is off, and what is it meant to be when charging, ie the lights on, when the lights are on the amp meter shows discharge, when they are off, it shows discharge, it never shows charge.

Not fiddled with the Advance, and am not sure if I should, other than using a bit of fuel, it seems to run without missing a beat, am I going to make it worse by messing, I mean emitions surely don't matter as I don't have to be tested at Ticket time?

Second reason, I have been reliably informed it is Tuesday today, so have gained a day, as I was set for manchester tomorow, which is actually Thursday, could have been a wasted journey! hehe
Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread from not so long ago, had some handy tips for 6v charging systems:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4568

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had missed that, cheers! Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, my Truck is still at 6.2V after a couple of weeks, running every few days, so am going to keep an eye on it. Not sure what I have done to fix it, or if it is actually fixed, but we will see.

Went for a run up to Ricks this PM, all going well, untill on the way home, I heard a knock, from underneath, looked in my back wheel and saw what looked like a bolt or two bouncing along the road, so pulled intot he hedge/verge and looked to see if Ernie was bleeding, but he wasn't nipped back up the road, couldn't see anything, so came home.

Decided to go and have a better look in the Peugeot this evening, but as I was running up the garden, dropped my car key in the bush! Only a small bush, but took a good while to locate the key, just what I needed!!

Anyway, didn't see anything on the road, so went for a ride, and a walk up a hill, and then came home.

So a semi good day, not sure what fell off, or if it was something I ran over and flung up, I guess I will just never know, allways wonder and worry, untill god for bit something falls off one day! Touch wood that won't happen!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes gravel from the drive gets stuck in tyre treads, then launches out a mile or two down the road, thumping the underside of the wheel arch before disappearing down a grid, so maybe that was the noise? so long as the wheels are all still attached and pointing in the right direction, I'd not be overly concerned Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah that is probably it, I found a sizeable pebble in my shoe yesterday must have got stuck on my sock on your drive. Laughing Ah well good to know it was nothing serious! (Touch wood!)

I was a bit worried about oil and like you say wheels when I first heard it, hence making a sharp exit for to the hedgeside.

Cheers

Dave
poodge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much,Buzzy.Like Rick said ,if it's still going in the right direction,you'll get home.
Sort of reminds me of the time I had a Triumph Herald estate.Going to work,it suddenly developed a loud clanging noise from the rear,and a bit of a wobble in the steering.I pulled over quickly,and found I had a puncture left rear.Changed tyre,and threw the dud in the back.When i got home that night,I found a 6" piece of reinforcing wire stuck in the inside wall of the tyre!
This had obviously been hitting the inside of the mudguard as it went around.
Cost me a new tyre Sad
Mog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a half inch bolt go through a tyre once. The amazing thing was that there was hardly any tread on the tyre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: