classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

buying online - brilliant or barking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: buying online - brilliant or barking? Reply with quote

Heard a thing on the radio the other day about the perils of buying online (things being misdescribed, not turning up, security of online payments etc), but I'm not sure its much worse that buying things over the phone, or paying a bill in the restaurant. People can get your card details by rooting through your bin at home (if you don't shred everything), and you never really know how honest the person taking your order over the phone is either. So is online any safer or more risky than other methods of buying? as far as I'm concerned, you need to take basic precautions however you shop, the 'net is no different

Or am I just barking?

Laughing
Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not, but its just that online fraud gets a lot more media publicity and therefore seems a lot more common.

Personally, I dont, and never will, buy things over internet. I think that there are too many people that use computers for criminal activities to take the chance.

But maybe its me thats barking?
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I on the other hand have bought successfully many times from all over the world without a hitch.

The main downside to e-buying tends to be not the expected credit card fraud but the British postal system that can manage to have items lost or stolen when in their care.
I once posted a painting to a man in Wolverhampton (approx 120 miles away) sent it first class recorded delivery and it took three weeks to arrive!

I generally find items shipped from the US arrive promptly and efficiently, items from within the uk are often late/damaged/ or lost!

Don't mean to have such a downer on the British postal service but my experiences in using their services lead me to that conclusion.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every postal service has their problems, and the UK Postal Service (?)have lost quite a number of my parcels. But by far the biggest one is the the prices that they expect the customer to pay! Absolutely ridiculous!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love buying stuff online, but I sometimes wish I could see the item before hand, in which case you may aswell go out and buy it in person!

Cheers

Dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting development has been the ruling due this week by the EU that ALL goods bought from within EU countries must be charged at the price at point of sale.

Effectively this will mean that Booze and Cigarettes can be bought over the internet, then imported from other EU nations and the import duty normally payable cannot be imposed.

What a kick in the goolies for Chancellor Brown should this come into force heh heh, if it does I wonder if his government will still be so keen on taking orders from Brussels!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things about the EU ruling that nobody has ever thought about. One is that it doesn't apply if it is in contravention of an existing "local" law.

Another is this. You can only buy good traditional engish bitter from british breweries, no foreigners make it! What happens if british breweries start to go bankrupt due to prats buying foreign?

I believe that this ruling is wrong. The correct answer should be to have the same taxes throughout the EU on all goods!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of the 'local law' clause, I understood it to be point of sale tax thus internet buying should enable people to circumvent those UK import taxes.

The correct method would indeed be to have a uniform tax system on EU goods, however, as we here in 'Rip-off' Britain are largely a captive audience the governments tend to hit us with the higher taxes.

Try that in Belgium for example and its a simple matter to nip over the border to Holland or France to pay the cheaper price.

As for good English bitter, I think the small local brewers are good but an aquired taste, and the remaining large breweries supply mass produced 'chemic' bitter.
As with many things quality is relaced by quantity.
Sad
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking of ales, we're quite fortunate living where we are, theres a pub just a couple of fields away that is renowned for its guest beers, people travel from all over the country to its beer festival. Food wasn't bad either, must call in again sometime - funny how these places can be on the doorstep but you rarely frequent them

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see your point, but a lot depends what you mean by local brewers and aquired taste. Take an example. In the sunny climes of Wigan, there is a brewery called Mayflower. Up until recently, they still used the original brewing equipment, and supplied 1 pub! Good beer, but as you say, an aquired taste. Near Warrington, there is Burtonwood brewery. Still local, but renowned over a larger area for good ales. Definately NOT an acquired taste! Then theres Greenhalls, Boddingtons etc.

I dont want to see any of these disappear due to people buying cheap foreign lagers, that have even less taste than the so called Chemic Beers!
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a microbrewery down the road from here, I haven't sampled their wares as yet, must do sometime though Very Happy

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, with all this talk about beer, it sounds like you and I are going to be metting up soon!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Bolton originally and there they have a pub called the Howcroft which sells traditional beers and has an annual beer festival.
There is/was also the 'Bank top brewery' there.

I worked for Greenall whitley for many years as production linesman, which is basically in chrge of the main bottling lines.
I had to taste the product every 30 mins, (and spit it out of course) which left me with no love for what I refer to as 'chemic' bitter!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know the place well, used to have a girlfriend who lived there, and used to frequent some of the more... er...interesting places!

But I always thought that it was called Bowton, as in "'Owton, Bowton and Westhowton!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... it's 'Bowton' to 'them as lives there!'

Our dialect leaves much to be desired... Tha' no's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: