classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Drill but not sure what type????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Drill but not sure what type???? Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering if anyone new of the real name for a type of drill I am looking for, I will try to describe it as best that I can! (bear with me Very Happy ):

I want a drill that i call a post drill and ratchet, it is a drill that is hed by either chaining it to the work piece or loding it under a post. You then turn it by the means of a long pole on a ratchet and it winds into the work very slowly on a very fine thread. It is was mainly used to dril very thick heavy or hard metal, such as when riveting etc.

I have been searching for one for ages now but can't seem to find the name that everyone uses!

Like this one:- http://www.wikigreen.org/~wikigree/index.php/Image:Dd8.gif

Any help would be apriciated

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, and you knew that I would answer this one, didn't you.

The picture shows not one tool, but two! The drill part is usually called a Ratchet Drill, and the part that you think of as a post is a clamp that is usually referred to as an "Owd Mon."
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had a feeling I may get a response from you yeah!

So if I was to search for this drill, what would I call it. I have tried asking and searching for a ratchet drill but keep getting little ratchet braces?

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buzzy,
Search for something like Bench Ratchet Drill. Although if you do, you will probably come to a company website, www.roseantiquetools.com

Mail Donna and see if she can get hold of one for you! Aren't I a mine of useless information?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just been on that tool site, wow they have some hand tools!

I would't say useless information, but rater useful!!

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: