classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

diesel verses petrol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: diesel verses petrol Reply with quote

Am sending this from Le Mans where the diesel engine Audi's & Peugeot's have just claimed all the outright top places, in the 24hr race
The organisors saying that next year the diesel cars will have to be restricted so that its fairer on the petrol cars. Harve I missed something? Why is this ?since when was diesel a better racing fuel?
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Could it be that outright performance has now got so close, that diesels now benefit from fewer refueling stops, perhaps only doing refueling at driver changes.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look at the pit stop ratio, but the diesel cars got all the top grid positions and fastest lap time's!
Have there been recent developments in diesel technology to account for this?
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is not as great as I thought but diesel just has a larger specific energy content. So in terms of energy available for a specific volume you are better off with diesel. Have said that, petrol still gives a higher energy for a specific weight but maybe at Le Mans weight is less important than volume.

Sorry about the mix of units.

Petrol 150k BTU/Imp Gal. (specific weight 740kg/m3)
Diesel 166k BTU/Imp Gal. (specific weight 900kg/m3)

[/i]
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesels have always been far more efficient engines than petrol. Thanks to people buying them in greater numbers over the past few years, manufacturers have been pouring money into ''improving'' them.

So really, its nothing to do with the fuel...its consumer power!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked to hear a price on a new fuel pump for a diesel Ford Fiesta, something like £1200 quid! needless to say the car, which is otherwise aok, will probably end up in the knackers yard

R Rolling Eyes
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you get a pump from the same yard, or a recon one somewhere?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems mad when you can buy a new Ford KA for under £6K, that a fuel pump costs about 20% of the price of the whole car Shocked
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FIESTA-DIESEL-PUMP_W0QQitemZ270247032371QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270247032371&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

My Mondeo got perilously close to scrapping a couple of years ago until I spotted a brand new pump on eBay for £50.

Admittedly it wasn't perfect and has thottle instability at low revs but otherwise is runs perfectly and is much better than the leaky one that it replaced.

Peter
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I was shocked to hear a price on a new fuel pump for a diesel Ford Fiesta, something like £1200 quid!

I bought a brand new Land Rover Defender Td5 Station Wagon in 1999 when they first came out and during its first service I got chatting to the service manager. As we chatted I discovered, much to my horror that this state-of-the-art diesel engine had injectors with direct computer control (my words, not theirs) that were £500 each to replace if they went faulty - and the Td5 had 5 of them! Shocked
Needless to say when the last week of the manufacturers 3 year warranty arrived it was traded in for a different car.

Brilliant engine though, best diesel I'd ever driven up until then. Currently, after two weeks of driving a new E320 CDI Merc with a V6 diesel I'd say that's my present star. Very Happy
wrinx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manufacturers sell cars cheaply and make up their profit margins on parts.

Diesels make excellent road cars and they're showing their power on track too...hopefully that'll also blow away some of the old views about diesels Laughing

I'm running a remapped 156 2.4 JTD with something like 190-200bhp and too many torques to mention, as my daily car. It is simply stunning!

Yes., it will probably cost a small fortune if it breaks down but I'll worry about that IF it happens Very Happy..and the parts will be second-hand...recycling Wink

wrinx

Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont know why; I have asked many times, the French are so keen on diesel there is probably a 60/40 diesel/petrol split so much so that petrol cars are probably 30% cheaper second-hand

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: