classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Liverpool police cars / Angus Sanderson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Liverpool police cars / Angus Sanderson Reply with quote

Can anyone help Jim with his queries re cars in the late 1920s??

-------

"i saw your website and found your address. i was wondering if you could help me.

i am a writer of crime fiction.

my current project is set in 1927, in the city of Liverpool.

i have been searching for some time now to find out what make of cars the police were using in liverpool in 1927, but have come up with nothing.
i have decided, therefore, that the hero police man will drive his own private car, and i was thinking possibly of an Angus-Sanderson, as such a car figured in a true murder case in the same period.

could you help me by answering the following.

was the angus-sanderson a luxury car for that era? if not, could you suggest a car which a resonably well-off person would have used as his personal motor in 1927.

did cars of that era have a heating system, as we have in cars today, to warm the inside of the car, or did driver and passenger suffer in the cold during the winter?

any help you could give me will be most appreciated and will be acknowledged in the book.

regards

jim"
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Roverron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Worthington Williams owned an Angus Sanderson many years ago, he has now sold it but I'm sure he would be able to help. When he was young he mentioned to his father (a chauffeur of the old school) that he would like an Angus Sanderson he was told they were terrible cars, but undaunted he eventually found and restored one.The only email address I can find is worthycomments@btinternet.com
I would be surprised if Angus Sandersons had a heater as standard.
Hope this helps.
Geoffp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading somewhere that in the 1920s only the top policemen had cars and they were chauffer driven. If Jim's hero is driving his own car than something a bit more sporting might be suitable, perhaps an early MG?

Geoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: