classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Global warming - I think I like it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Global warming - I think I like it! Reply with quote

Having just gone through what was for England a glorious summer that has stretched well into the traditionally autumn months, I read the other day that climate change is to bring hotter drier summers and wetter winters.

Now forgive my simplistic approach here but hotter summers are every Englishmans dream, and wetter winters mean no salt on the roads to eat away at our vehicles.

Tony blair stated that if the UK produced zero emissions starting immediately, the difference in greenhouse gasses would be made up by China in around 18 months! The guilt that one may have felt for driving something contributing to the greenhouse effect has been put in proportion by that one statement!

Failing accident or illness, this old nail may have another thirty years or so left in him, and I would like to think that there were a few decent summers to enjoy amongst those years so am I right not to feel so bad?
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellllll I do understand that global emissions do need to be kept in check, but I really do feel that this excuse is used to justify all manner of wallet-lightening initiatives dreamt up by fresh faced ministers, and scientists looking for their research grants to be secured for the next nn years.

When President Blairs brigade launched their proposed 'green' taxes last week, someone pointed out that the govt were still dead set on allowing a fifth terminal to be built at Heathrow, in order to handle much more air travel. For a govt supposedly so keen on reducing emissions and all that stuff, it does seem a bit hypocritical to be endorsing further expansion of the UK's largest airport. When I see T Blair and co. taking to a pushbike rather than an armour-plated limo a bit more often, and using video conferencing more and jetting around (saving the world) less, I'll listen to all their posturing and dictats about what we should all be doing.

I did hear that our climate was so mild 150 or so years ago that oranges were being grown here in large numbers, so perhaps it was a bit warmer all those years ago than it is now???

And as for being bullied into buying supposedly 'green' cars, the govt (and SMMT funnily enough) conveniently forget that most pollution caused by a motorcar is during it manufacture, so really, maintaining and keeping older cars in use, and in good order, is greener than junking a car when its a few years old, and buying a shiny new one. In fact there should be incentives for people to run older cars, rather than simply junking them when a minor fault occurs and buying new. All the plastic in new cars has to come from somewhere, as does the precious metal used in catalytic converters.

Rant over Very Happy

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, I think there should be a re-introduction of the Citroen 2cv then every household could run one on a shoestring (as I do).

I absolutely hated the things for years until I actually used one and then I was a convert!
Infinitely rebuildable, 60mpg, more versatile than a swiss army knive, and like all the best ideas - simple!
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it wasn't for all the safety stuff & regulation compliance thats expected of new cars, I reckon there'd be a huge market for a modern 2CV, ie something really really basic, sub 1 litre engine capacity, easy to work on, really economical, and cheap to buy (under £4k if possible). In fact something that all new drivers should only be driving for the first 2 or 3 years on the road perhaps? before being let loose in anything more punchy

R
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my first three years of driving has just gone, I got my first mini when I was 16, second last year and now the pickup. Wouldn't say they were very punchy but deffinantly the mini should be everyones first car in my oppinion! Actually scrap that idea as there would be no minis left going on the amount of cars some of my mates write off! Laughing

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about the 2CV. My brother loves them to bits, but I hate them with a vengence!

Sooner have a Reliant! Now theres a car!

Buzzy, you are closer to the mark with a Mini as a good first car. Either that or a 105E. Maybe an early Triumph Herald if you have a death wish!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re; "Funny thing about the 2CV. My brother loves them to bits, but I hate them with a vengence!"

In the 2cv world we have a saying;

Citroen 2cv - you either love them - or you don't yet understand! Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever seen one good 2CV, that was a body on a custom chassis that was fitted with a 350 Chevy....
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was amazed by the twin engine version that was 2 front halves of a 2cv, joined together, and used by the fire service in (I think) Provence. It enabled them to drive down narrow lanes to a fire, and if things got a little hot, they could pedal away just as quickly as they arrived. Then there was the 4x4 with an engine in either end for use in the desert etc. A very adaptable little car.

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real reason they had two engines was failsafe! French technology of the day didn't extend to 4WD!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: