classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Uneven Firing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
eddie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Uneven Firing Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone shed a light my latest problem my mk 111 midget spits and pops when I back off the throttle and also cuts out all the time until the engine is fully warmed up. When driving normally the engine sounds great.
She has had new contact breakers set at 15 thou also new plugs set at 25 thou tappets set to 12 thou,got my doubts about ignition timing !! I can't see the notch on pulley to check timing.
Help !!
Eddie
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Do you mean you can't see the notch at all or just when it is running?

I used to put a dot of white paint in the notch so that it showed up well when trying to compare it with the different fixed timing marks.
eddie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re Notch Reply with quote

Hi Mate,
No i cannot see a notch at all. I have turned the engine over by hand and for the life of me cannot see a notch. Do you think my problem sounds like timing.
Eddie
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a number of things, timing, air leak at carb, condenser, worn needle jet.....
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does it if I forget to fit the vacuum pipe between the manifold and the distributor.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Found this Q&A page for Midgets Timing.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/MG-Car-Repair-3786/2008/6/MG-midget-timing-marks-1.htm
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful stuff with the coathanger etc, but make sure it's on the compression stroke.
I break all the rules myself, get it approximately right, then with it warm and running, turn the distributor in each direction until I'm happy with the engine speed. If I've got it about right... it will pink if I try to accellerate from 30mph in top. I was taught that by an old mechanic as the way to time 'A' series engines. They have messed about so much with the petrol in the last few years I'm not sure about the pinking any more.
Anyway, don't try this at home kiddies, I do this at my own risk and it usually works for me. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: