classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Worst/Dangerous workshop stories???
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Mog

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear of a mechanic that put a near new Jag. up on the hoist, but failed to put the hand brake on. There was nothing to stop it rolling off and crashing nose first in to the concrete floor. He was out of work next day.

When I was in Coober Pedy, digging for opal, we were trying to start this Ford V8 ute that had run out of petrol. I was under the bonnet pouring petrol in the carby. from a 1 gallon tin. The driver , sat in the car decided to try and start it. So I was left holding the tin with flames coming out the top, very interesting, what to do next ? I took a few steps and threw the tin away. I was shaken but did not get burnt at all. I think what saved me was the fact that it was a very hot day, the tin would have been full of fumes and no air to cause an explosion.

I have some more stories but they will have to wait for another day, got to go !
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it was apocryphal? But there was a story going around a few years ago where a chap borrowed his mates Inspection Pit to service his car, as he drove over the pit he experienced that ‘sinking feeling’ that only those who drive three wheeler Reliants over pits experience.
To add to his woes… where the front had fallen into the pit the doors were jammed closed and he missed his lunch, and dinner.
Laughing
Mog

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had a new garage built on the side of the house. It was brick, and joined onto the side of the house. It was a flat wooden roof with tar felt ? on the out side. Inside, by law he had to put up fireproof sheeting, asbestos ? This had not been done.
As my father drove the works Morris van, it was not allow inside. The Morgan three wheeler was in side being rebuilt. I had rebuilt the engine, OHV vee twin JAP, and the rest of the car without spending much money, as I did not have any. My mate gave me a hand to put the engine on the front and hook it up. The problem was that the exhaust system did not fit. So we decided to try and start it. I turned the petrol on , gravity feed, then flooded the Amal carby, set the controls, went to the back to crank up the two speeder. Bang ! it fired alright, a good flash of flame from the exhaust stub. In the next half second the carby was covered in flames ! I dived my hand under the bonnet and switched the petrol off. I them put my face down near the the carby and started to blow the flames out, my mate did not think that was a good idea, but joined in. We did put the flames out by blowing on them. We were shaken but not burnt. In less than another half min. the clear pvc hoses feeding the carby would have melted. We learned a few lessons that I can remember to this day. It was a good job that it did not keep running. My Morgan and my father's new garage could have been ashes.

More stories to follow ......
marknotgeorge

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Habit wrote:
Some years ago when I was a shop steward I had to go to disciplinary meeting with the boss after one of our drivers had smashed up tractor unit. He had some difficulty coupling to a trailer that was parked awkwardly and exhausted all the air in the braking system shunting back and forth, causing them to lock on.
He then got out of the cab to check something leaving the engine running....and of course when the air built up off came the brakes and the truck started to roll across the yard and into a concrete pillar. It totally wrecked the cab on a unit that was only weeks old.

The boss told him that he was considering sacking him until I asked the question....
"If he had tried to get back into the cab of the moving truck and slipped under the wheels severely injuring himself.....what would you have said to him then? ". He pondered for a moment, smiled and said "You bloody fool, you should have let it go". The driver kept his job.

But surely the misconduct which caused the accident was him not putting the parking brake on, not him not running to try and stop the truck once it was moving?

Anyway. My story has nothing to do with cars, but is an interesting tale nonetheless. When I first started at McDonalds, the shortening in the frying vats was solid. When the shortening needed to be replaced from time to time, care had to be taken to pack the solid shortening right down into the vat kettle, and the vat had to be cycled on and off so that the vat didn't overheat and catch fire. Later vats with electronic timers had a program for melting the shortening, and the shortening was later changed to the semi-liquid stuff they use now.

One evening, the shortening was being changed, and I looked up to see flames shooting out of a vat! Quickly going over to switch the vat off and cover it over before the automatic fire supression system went off (which creates a real mess, I can tell you), I discovered that the numpty changing the shortening had simply put a block of lard on the removeable grid which supports the fry baskets!
Mog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see this happen, but I did know the young guy. I have been out to the family wheat farm a number of times. It is in the Mallee area of Victoria Aust. His pride and joy was a Holden ute. it was parked next to the self propelled combined harvester worth mega dollars . He decided to clean the engine with petrol, when it was all covered in petrol, he dropped a spanner on the battery. The whole engine bay was then covered in flames. He managed to put the flames out , saving the ute. and the harvester, but badly burning his arms.
When I was in Andamooka, digging for opal, there was an old shaft, about 15 feet deep that I used to throw my rubbish into. I had been cleaning some parts from my Land rover with petrol so I threw the remains into the hole. I thought this would be a good time to burn up my rubbish. So I lit some newspaper and threw it into the hole. Nothing happened , so I went to have a look , it went woosh ! it went off like a roman candle and filled my eyes with dirt. Apart from the shock, there was was no damage.
So the moral of these stories, is do NOT use petrol for cleaning.
In the last few weeks, my niece's husband has broken his neck while surfing. He is very lucky to be alive. It was a freak accident . It took 24 hrs. to get to hospital in Singapore. He is 36 yrs. old and has a 1 yr. old baby girl. They have not been able to move him back to Sydney as yet.
More fire stories to follow....
zandycap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a horror of being trapped under a car. So i always chock/block/axle stand and shove some old wheels under a couple of corners or somewhere to take the strain if all the rest give way. Nothing wrong with belt AND braces when it comes to personal safety.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zandycap, welcome to the forum!

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Welcome allong! Your first post I see, what cars are you interested in?

I too have a fear of cars falling on me, as a mini nearly did once, not very big I know, but still heavy enough, and very low! Luckily it cagut the bumper on the trolley jack, can't remember why it fell, but it surely did!. Thank god for metal bumpers! I also moved very quickly!

Cheers

Dave
zandycap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, i will put a small bio in the introductions section. At the moment i have a 1969 Rover 2000 P6 under restoration.
Geoffp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not dangerous but I remember helping a friend change a wheel on an Austin A35 some years ago. I held the spare wheel while he jacked the car up, or to be more precise he raised the jacking point about six inches while all four wheels stayed firmly on the ground Smile
I also found out about hydraulic lock the hard way when trying to start a side-valve Prefect by rolling down a hill and letting the clutch in Sad

Geoff
SloResto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an accident in my first car, a 1963 Holden in Sydney Aust. which stoved in the front section pretty badly but the car was still drivable.. having just started work after high school I couldn't afford to get it fixed.

Some weeks later I took it to the local garage to get the brakes checked. When I returne dto pick the car up the proprietor, a kindly old man jack galvin was most upset with the young apprentice who pranged the car before the brakes had been rebled right into a wall.

End result was that the previous accident damage was fixed up for no cost on the garage's insurance policy.

A very lucky break! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: