classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Getting tanked (photos)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
macker1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realy nice bit of work that joe .
And a bit timly as well. I put the tank on my Commer wed night to MOT it used some of the plastic padding type stuff to seal the holes. Kept the fuel down and it passed its MOT . So last night I decided to put a bit more petrol in to give it a run today to see if there where any problems engine etc. as I filled it 1/2 Ikept an eye on it to see if it leeked. i took the dog for a walk about 7 am no fuel on the flloor. Came back at 7.30 no fuel on the floor. A knock on the door at 8.30 a passer by do you know you have petrol leeking from your van (it was like a river of petrol) Strange the petrol pfiller pipe a 1/4 of the wat down had come of. the temp was getting warmer I think the tank presurised and the weekest link give way.

Any way Uncle Joe if you decide to go into the making tanks let me know dont mind giving a hand not bad at welding but do not have a bender or e tig welder.
wrinx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Very Happy

I used to do a lot of stainless welding but with MIG...never entirely happy with the results to be honest, as they had to be ground back which ruins the effect.

But I used TIG for brass welding and thought it was great, lovely neat welds. Same with gas welding on sheet metal, I used to love getting a nice neat bead on corners.

wrinx

47p2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcpartland
For some reason petrol and plastic padding do now work. Have you tried the product available at Frost for tank repairs?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcpartland, the biggest problem with me doing a tank for you is that I dont live in the UK any more.

This may sound strange, but its a lot easier to do tanks for US vehicles simply due to the fact that aftermarket sender units, as well as the bracketry are available. I'm not all that sure if any of them can be used on european vehicles. Perhaps one of the electrical experts on here can tell us?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: