classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Been there, done that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Been there, done that... Reply with quote

Article in MSN news about if the US should ever have to pay $10 a gallon for gas... we pay almost that now.
Makes interesting reading, I quote:

"Thousands of truckers would go bankrupt. Airplanes would sit idle in hangars. Restaurants and stores would shut down. Car-pooling, hybrid vehicles, scooters and inline skates would swing into vogue. And telecommuting, rooftop vegetable gardens, home cooking and recycling would proliferate." Shocked

Don.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 'thousands of truckers would go bankrupt, restaurants and stores would shut down' bit is already happening here if you think about it.

There's something sublimely screwed up about a society that has created American style out of town shopping malls and 'retail parks' that can only be accessed by car, only to then price those cars of the road! Wink

I haven't watched TV for a week or two but I do like to tune in now and again to see Gordon Browns denials that anything is wrong, or that our current problems are not the legacy of ten years of NuLabour economic and cultural vandalism. Laughing

Remember that Iraqui bloke early in the gulf war that used to come on TV and deny that his army were being defeated...that's Gordon Brown that is! Laughing
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I participate on an American vehicle related web site and you'd never believe the stance some folks over there are taking with the gas price increases.

I was involved in a discussion and had to point out to some of the members there that just because Brits pay high petrol prices our wages are commensurately higher. Some thought that in relative terms we actually paid less than Americans do in comparison to how much we earned - I soon put that myth to bed.

Of course as we probably have all heard on the news today its 18% cheaper for us to own and run a car than it was 20 years ago! Confused
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, great timing by the RAC, it'll win them lots of friends and please Brown and co no end.
Now, when am I supposed to renew my membership? Evil or Very Mad
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was it about lies, damned lies, and statistics?
Perhaps we should have our wages index-linked to the price of houses and petrol then?

It's amusing that a motoring organisation should come out with a rosy spin on the dire situation faced by thousands of motorists, especially since as many of those motorists are eventually priced off the road guess who'll be out of work first? Rolling Eyes

We're witnessing living history here, I really do believe we are. Just as I once could ask my grandfather what it was like in the great war or the depression of the 1920's, future generations will perhaps ask us what it was like to live through the era that ruined Britain... and why did we let it happen? Embarassed
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON - tell me that your signature is true, I sprayed tea all over the computer screen when I read it! Laughing

Dont'cha just love politicians.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it is true scotty the man's a master! Laughing

it's one of the many 'Bush-isms' that have me in stitches from time to time, like the one - " In America today, most of our imports come from abroad"
it's hilarious - until you realise that this 'towering intellect' is the most powerful man on earth...then it becomes scary Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: