classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

BMC 1100/1300 oil pump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: BMC 1100/1300 oil pump Reply with quote

I was having a chat about this with a friend of mine. A BMC 1300, automatic, low mileage but with zero, I mean 00000, oil pressure. No flicker on the gauge, even with the oil filter housing removed, nothing pumps out, and all signs point to either a blocked oil pickup, or a failed pump and/or drive. Tried priming the pump via the outlet for the pressure gauge but to no avail. Oil has been changed, filter isn't blocked.

What neither of us know is, is the oil pump accessible on the transverse A Series, without removing the engine and box (auto) from the car??? anyone know???

thanks, R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think (and might be wrong here!!) you can get at it by first removing the alloy flywheel cover, the pump sits on that end of the cam.

Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you meam by accessible?

You can get to it by removing the clutch cover and clutch/flywheel assembly on manuals and then the whole flywheel housing. with autos its basically the same except less room as the torque converter has to come off first

It really is a lot easier with whole unit out and it does seem like the pump drive shaft has sheared (its a slot in the end of teh shaft) so a full strip down is needed anyway to remove any bits broken off Crying or Very sad
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as phil said, I don't know if there's much more room in an 1100 but even if there is, I'd still take the engine out!!
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK Dave is correct the pump is on the end of the cam behind he flywheel housing casting, but I do not believe that this is easily removed with the engine in the car. With a manual box the usual cause of disasterous oil pressure on these units is either damage to, or complete loss of the o'ring in the gearbox flange where the engine mounts, on the oil transfer port. If the box has ever failed it may well have filled up the oil strainer with assorted debris!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: