classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E93A: Weber or twin HS2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
James_1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: E93A: Weber or twin HS2 Reply with quote

I was considering fitting a 40 DCOE Weber carb to my E93A special. With a would this be suitable and would it need 36mm chokes? Has anyone ever fitted a Weber to a sidevalve engine? On the other hand I have a pair of rebuilt HS2s but I am not sure about fitting these because of tuning, I have had nothing but trouble in the past keeping twin carbs running right and the car is going to be used very regularly, hopefully everyday so it needs to stay in tune!
Thanks
James
ka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Carbs Reply with quote

Depending on how "origonal" you would like the car to look. I run both a single 1 1/4" , and twin mini carbs and have found the power output to be very little difference. I am sure that there are people out there that can quote exact figures, but I find the single carb marginally more torquey than the twin set-up, possibly down to the greater gas speed, and similarly as the side valve is not a high revver, the single carb probably does not get beyond its gas flow limits. Other set ups I have tried are the early single 1 1/4" Webber carb from the Mk1 Fiesta, this has an acceleratior pump as an advantage, but is not so easy to set up as the SU. Other options I have tried are the 1 1/2" SU, to try and overcome the limitations on the smaller carb gas flow speeds.
Best outcome for me has always been the smaller SU, and the most economical!

KA
James_1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the infomation KA. I really appricate it. I will fit the HS2s I've got lying around.
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old, but i built a fully tuned up 10hp engine for my 49 anglia, with twin 1.5" su's.

Went very well!

I had 75mph out of it (on private roads Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: