classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

De-greasing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: De-greasing Reply with quote

Cleaning up mucky old mechanical parts is rarely much fun. In the past I've used old petrol and/or white spirit, with a stiff brush, to clean down old engine blocks etc. Any other recommendations for making this filthy job any more pleasant? I'm not keen on getting petrol all over me anyway, so all contributions welcomed! I did read someone used Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner on a greasy chassis, but I've not tried that one yet !!!

Rick.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time, I have used oven cleaner for removing signwriting from the sides of vans, etc. Using more cleaner than muscle!

As far as degreasing goes, a short while ago, I started using Brake Cleaner, washing it off with one of those high pressure thingys that I connect to my compressor. Sorry, dont know what they are called in english!

Are there any other suggestions to this, apart from degreasers such as Gunk and Jizer?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a liquid on tractors at college that was called "gun oil" it used to remove anything, but have never been able to find it to buy any where. Maybe I was not using the real name. Also wear some gloves when using it as it really hurts if it gets into a cut!!
rustyreks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick in all the old 50s car manuals the cleaner used by garages for moters was caustic soda same as whats in oven cleaner still have to be careful with the alloys as will dull them.Acids are worse on alloys than alkalies.Steam cleaning still does a good job but it is a hassle getting parts to the garage to clean.Will only shift about 50 -60 % of the gunk.Any ideas on making a steam cleaner. Some of the garages use a commercial grade degreaser leave the product on for 5-10 minutes then blast with a water blaster.I use kerosine or petrol as
cleaner. Have tried sodium hypochloride which is a commercial degreaser but not that impressed. Am still looking for the ideal cleaner as hate working on dirty moters.The other benefit with an alkalie is that it holds back the rust temporarily acids tend to make metal rust quickly.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyreks reply made me think of something. As I said before, I've used oven pads for removing signwriting. When rr mentioned caustic soda, it made me wonder if Oven Cleaner areosols would work, after all, they are based on Caustic Soda.

So I tried it on the 300's busted sump. Guess what? It does. And very well.

If anyone else tries this, remember, its your responsibility!
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick i was looking on the web and came across this product which grabbed my attention for degreasing moters worth checking it is glycerine based i am going to try some glycerine and see how well it degreases.As i work in a stock and station company we sell commercail glycerine for dairy farms.Check the site out very eco friendly which is important these days.

http://www.glycerinesoap.com.au/making.htm

I think you will find this interesting.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like the sound of that stuff!

Rustyreks

So you have an E83W restoration on the go? I would love to see some pictures and some more info!

Cheers

Dave
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave yes i have a E83w thats how i first came across Rick from his site mine was quite badly rusted in the cab so i have cleaned and painted the chassis the running gear seems okay at the moment the moter was seized badly which i managed to free up but picked up a good running moter from a 51 prefect and gearbox as one mount on gearbox was broken the chassis was in good order it had been used to cart lime and the lime mixed with oil preserved the chassis it had been sitting in a paddock for 20years there is a picture on Ricks e83w site under the members section.I have just managed to pick up a spare truck for parts as i did a trade i fixed up a friends fordson in exchange for a parts truck most of its there incl metal wellside and guards mine didnt have the original one it was a big job as there was a lot wrong with it had to do repairs to the fuel tank fuel pump and fuel lines distributer and get the compression back and retime took me 2 solid days to get it all done after wards took it for a drive quite rewarding Phil and his wife were over the moon about getting it going again hadnt gone for over 2 years phils not mechanical at all.Hope to pick up the other truck soon may use the cab as it is in better shape than mine.Just welded up inner guards as they were badly rusted came up good.Floor section has been removed rust repairs done and painted.As the trucks are getting hard to find and sort after i think i will repair it over time.I also have a 59 vanguard ute and a40 devon ute and vintage reel mowers as have an interest in vintage engines.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It sounds good! Very Happy Lucky to get a truck for spares!
I have got an old mower that I have fixed up, but have no lawn, bit of a floor in the plan, I have nothing to help me explain why I need it to my dad! A car with tiller steering is sounding apealing to me aswell.

I love steam stuff and stationary engines, lister diaphagm pumps are apealing to me and also just stationary petrol engines with a nice big pulley and belt.

Cheers

Dave
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave yes i like the steam era to particularly steam powered cars only controls were a throttle lever and brakes i think idea of them is excellent no fumes except water vapor it was a steam car that held the first land speed record 127 mph back 1906 quite amazing they also used to out perform petrol cars in there day on hill climbs and were later banned entry against petrol cars if they had put more effort into them we could have been driving them the germans had a steam car which was very advanced and overcome most of the problems of earlier models it used petrol to heat the water into steam was economical for cars of the time but were possibly to expensive compared with a petrol car pity.Last year i picked up an early stationary moter wolseley which has the big flywheels the frame was made by the blacksmith it is a 2 stand shearing plant i also collect shearing memorabilia.Have an early handpiece made in 1888.You still might need the mower one day.I must admit i enjoy mechanics and a new challenge is always welcomed so i pick up different projects along the way but where do you draw the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: