classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Trailer Recomendation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Trailer Recomendation Reply with quote

Getting some additional storage about 4 miles from my house, so am going to buy car trailer (transporter) be interested in what folk recomend I should look for, probaly the biggest thing I will carry is the Stag any thoughts?

Dave
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of far eastern cheap stuff on the market at the moment
I would go for an Ifor Williams anyday curtain siders are good too as they are multi usage

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a 4 wheel Brian James a few times, with hydraulic tilt, and it knocks the socks of any of the older ratty trailers I've cadged in the past Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I brought my P2 up from Tilbury Docks I hired a Brian James trailer which was just out the wrapper.....It was a total nightmare. If I sat at 49mph everything was fine, but if my speed crept up to 50mph the trailer was all over the place.

When I went to the Fraserburgh Rally a few weeks ago I hired a trailer again. Yes it was a Brian James, but this time it was 3 feet longer and with a heavier carrying capacity, what a difference, I never felt the trailer once, and yes I was using the same vehicle for towing.

Go for the biggest and best you can afford, you get what you pay for
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 47p2
Have to remember that generally cars are much heavier at one end, so it is possible that with the shorter one you weren't able to get the nose weight correct. (apologies if you did check)

ukdave
I think the best advice would be to get one a bit longer than you think necessary, just in case, and it does give you more leeway to move the car to adjust the noseweight.
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nose weight was spot on for the trailer....
I was an Class 1 HGV driver for many years so I know a thing or two about towing. I also towed caravans all over the UK when I was younger
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Don't be tempted by a cheap home-made job. I have a friend with a twin axle 18 foot trailer that is a conversion from a caravan chassis. I could use it free anytime I want, but always prefer to pay to rent a Brian James or Ifor Williams every time.

They are purpose built and so long as you get the load car in the right position will tow beautifully. I always load when connected to the tow car and just watch for the tow hitch to start going down.

I have towed MGB's, TR4's etc from the UK to Barcelona, without problems.

The home-brew has the load car too high in the air and snakes alarmingly at 40mph, not very pleasant watching your Stag in the mirror!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The only times I have been involved with towing normal cars on trailers, we used a twin axle job, was either ifor williams or brian james, and we heavyly overloaded it, so if you get one with the modern inderspension units, get ones that have a good rating. Last time the trailer was only carrying about 1.5ton, but it was bottoming out.

Home made trailers can be ok, just need to be over engineered, my friend carries two cars on a caravan based trailer, but it was heavily modified. That allways towed well.

There is a company, hmmm, hang on....

PRG, http://www.prgtrailers.co.uk/about.htm They are local at Audlem, so could be worth going to have a chat with them, useful to have some local backup if you need after service. I can't recomend them, as I have never bought anything off them, but they are local. There "Lodeck beavertail" looks good to me, as it has the option to be used as a trailer for carrying other things if you needed, other than cars, you never know when you might buy a plough or something! hehe

A good winch is the other must, or you will be messing about, parking the trailer, so you can tow/push a non runner on with the tow vehicle.

Also worth a look:-
http://www.ternvalleytrailers.co.uk/
Border Trailer Works - Tel: 01691 622157 in Welsh Frankton, I think.

Cheers

Dave
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a lot of research and found PRG to be the best vfm at the time (October 2007). I've got a 2000kg sports trailer with a 6'1" bed. I'd leave hydraulic tilt beds alone unless your car is very low and spend the cash on a better winch and some good quality (bulldog) hitch locks and wheel clamps.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave,

What did you end up buying?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: