classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My 'Orphans'!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: My 'Orphans'! Reply with quote

Maybe it's a mid-life crisis, my other half certainly thinks so! I refer to the urge to 'save' old cars whenever I am able to.

One of the worst phrases I can ever read in a classic car ad is "suitable for customising".... Ooooogh....runs shivers down my spine it does.
I am thus galvanised into doing my bit to 'rescue' that vehicle from the clutches of those misguided individuals that would fit mag-alloy wheels and 'trick' suspension etc.

Now don't get me wrong there are a few, shall we call them 'improvements' that can be made to old vehicles to make them more reliable and usable that I do not consider to be sacrilige, I'm not a purist unless the vehicle in question is a pretty unique survivor.

Electronic ignition, cannister type oil filters, heaters, direction indicators, even disc brake conversions all have a place to play in keeping much loved everyday classics running safely and reliably, I would even go as far as engine transplants for particularly slow vehicles if that transplant was still in keeping with the age/period of the vehicle.

I have for example heard of some Austin A40 Somersets having been uprated with the later Cambridge engine, which must give a useful boost to performance without changing the nature of the car.

But back to my dilemma, what does one do with an ever increasing amount of old cars that have been purchased from the number plate men having been dragged from the garage they have hidden in for the last thirty years?

Each one needs work, but each one is worth having that work done! I can only do so much, and I began to worry about the neighbours views when yet another old car arrives at my house on the back of a trailer! Embarassed

However, to the rescue came female logic, my other half came up with the answer, and like all the best solutions it was very very simple - so simple in fact that she was able to put it into just four words.....

STOP LOOKING ON E-BAY! Razz
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe yeah you're (or rather your wife is) dead right on the ebay thing, wayyy to easy to accumulate new old metal Very Happy

your fleet is looking jolly smart, the Somerset looks like a real beaut and the Vanguard is looking very at home there too.

keep it up, don't forget it was free listing on ebay motors over the weekend, so even more old iron to look at Very Happy

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh the wife'll love you! Twisted Evil
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe but I didn't say that I agreed with her point of view

Laughing
Rick.

(get bidding)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail, your 2CV is identical to my brothers. I agree with your comments about upgrading cars for safety/reliability, as long as the original parts are kept for replacement later, and that the mods. aren't permanent. I'll bet your 2CV has an electronic igniton fitted, doesn't it?

The only thing that I can say about e-bay is that my wife is glad we dont have one here. Though she hasn't realised that I can still place bids on it!
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so whats this then???? Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.ebay.se/home

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sugar! Embarassed
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he! welcome to the world of fun! Laughing
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old nail

I spotted a patch of grass to the left of some of your photos, I'm sure that could easily accomodate at least one small Fiat?!?!?!?!!!!! less mowing so a win/win really, hehe

Wink

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't...it has a tree in the middle Laughing

However - the patio at the rear of the house now holds the wifes Peugot 106! I kid you not.
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nail

just looking at the first pic again, is the Somerset really that much taller than next door's car, or does is their drive lower than yours???

Doesn't look like their silver car could accomodate a gentleman in his bowler hat, thats for sure

Rick
Very Happy
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver Rover 75 next door is parked on a driveway some 12-15 inches lower than mine, a feature of infinite advantage when washing my cars! Twisted Evil
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought anything else lately, or been tempted enough to bid at anything??

Rick Cool
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... er.... Yup! Wink

I bought this last week -

Suzuki 350 dirt bike to have a little fun on (if ever I get the time!)

I've also had my eye on a Morris minor, and for some reason have developed a fondness for the Rover P4 so one or two of those have been on watch, but to be honest I am going to have to make some firm decisions regarding what stays and what goes because the Mrs has reached critical mass with my 'hobbies'! Confused

Do I keep the Vanguard (that she likes too), or the 2cv...or the Austin Somerset.... or.... the BMW R80 boxer....the Suzuki?....sell the lot?....buy more?... AAAggghhhhh!

I'm going for a lie down.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looks like that will be fun!

I am a little hoarder, so I think buy more!

hehe Confused

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: