classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1912 Alldays rear axle bearing/brakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: 1912 Alldays rear axle bearing/brakes Reply with quote

I'm trying to stop the bearing grease getting flung onto the brake shoes but I can;t see how to do this without replacing the bearings with sealed units. Any ideas

link to difflock.com discussion thread with pictures
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

Firstly, sorry for suggesting I would turn up at Biggar and then not. Combination of my lift not going and weather.

Looking at your pictures the bearing housing appears to be bolted on to the brake drum. I wonder if you could separate the two then fit the drum followed by a soft membrane that is clamped between drum and housing but also fits nicely around the axle tube. I presume you are able to get the bearing off the tube.

Peter

Confused

Last edited by peter scott on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how the bearing is fitted and I'm scared to remove in case I cant refit it!.

I might make some kind of cover.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make a membrane with a hole in the middle and a radial cut extending outwards to allow you to fit it behind the bearing.

Peter
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting somewhere ....

The halfshaft is supported by a bearing inside the end of the axle tube and the bearing that is sitting on the shaft should be fitted (tight) inside the drum. When the drum is fitted onto the shaft it fills all the space between the oil seal and the bearing and seals against the axle tube to prevent gear oil loss.

The spacer is wrong and the bearing is wrong but it all works at the moment although there may be an issue with the bearing not being pushed against the seal properly. So where is the oil coming from? I reckon that the axle was filled with EP90 which is waaay too thin and was seeping past the seal. I've used Penrite Transoil 140 which is much thicker and should not get past the seal.

I've decided to simply clean everything up and regrease the bearing with heavy grease and see how it goes. I'll look at finding the right bearing eventually.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that if you unscrewed the grub screws in the collar and took the collar off then the bearing would simply slide off the axle tube. You can then access the place where a seal is needed.

Peter
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the theory but it was not for coming off easily last night Crying or Very sad

I'll be having a sterner word with it tonight Twisted Evil
Rdover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE
Sorted!

I bought a 10 tonne puller and figured out that the hub collar screws on. The oil seals were both knackered but with a little research I've now ordered the bits to make a leather/felt oil seal to stop oil getting out of the axle tube and sealed bearings so no backing plate oil seal required (although I'll probably make one up in felt.

Phew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: