classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Workshop Manuals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Workshop Manuals Reply with quote

What do you think of workshop manuals.........I won't name the one I am thinking of, but I have thrown a few of them up the wall Evil or Very Mad

Do they really expect you to believe that each one is based on "A complete strip down". If that is the case then why don't they tell you that you will need a 45.876 meglawogal which has to have a lefthand thread. I have lost count of how many times I have read "Remove so and so" and "Refit in reverse order". Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Please just tell me how!!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe well some aftermarket ones have some useful tips, but I'd never be without a factory manual and parts list for the 'proper' approach to fixing something!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop Manuals Reply with quote

Dirty Habit wrote:

Do they really expect you to believe that each one is based on "A complete strip down".

In recent years I have had exactly those same thoughts (no doubt whilst reading the same publisher's manuals) They go into extreme detail in some areas but can be complete deserts for info on simple but non-obvious things such as how do remove and refit a front bumper. (I'm talking Euroboxes with plastic bumpers here.)

Peter
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to find a parts manual if at all possible as it shows exploded views of each part, at least there is less chance of missing a washer.
I know what you mean though they are infuriating, trouble is too if you can get a real manual from the manufacturer they tend to talk like you are a trained mechanic so know what you are doing Rolling Eyes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pay the money and make your choice, there is no way a Haynes £20 manual can cover every scenario, model & upgrade, the content is going to be based on the model striped down.
Manufacturers manuals are constantly upgraded and must cost a fortune to distribute.
I would say the Haynes ones are good for 90%+ of situations, agree with Greeney, exploded parts diagrams are a must.
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid nearly twenty quid for a "Restoration Manual" for Midgets and Sprites. When I came to use it, it suggested fitting a 'Heritage' body: because I probably wouldn't be able to repair the old one. It went on to give instructions on how to do this, very badly. Lots of crappy drawings and fairly unhelpful anecdotes, nothing on body repairs.
After consulting it half a dozen times and finding no helpful information I turned to the Haynes and Moss catalogue. Far better.
Got twelve quid for it on ebay though. Wink
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop Manuals Reply with quote

[quote="peter scott"]
Dirty Habit wrote:

In recent years I have had exactly those same thoughts (no doubt whilst reading the same publisher's manuals) They go into extreme detail in some areas but can be complete deserts for info on simple but non-obvious things such as how do remove and refit a front bumper. (I'm talking Euroboxes with plastic bumpers here.)

Peter

This is exactly the experience I have had in the past, I thought it was just me!.....hence have not used one for years Laughing
As mentioned above, a Manufacturers Workshop manual with clear diagrams is worth it's weight in Gold Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got quite a few of these ''based on a complete stripdown'' manuals from the '60's and early '70's. They arent to bad. The trouble is, quality really went downhill after that, and the later ones are not even fit to hang on a nail in the smallest room... Laughing

Factory manuals are the best if they are available, not only for the year of model in question, but other same make models as well. As others have said, Parts manuals are also worth their weight in gold.....
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Parts manuals are also worth their weight in gold.....

Never a truer word written.

When I had our Spitfire the local BL dealer parts guy gave me their old tattered copy of their parts book. Each page had an "exploded" view of all the individual parts that went to make up a single complete unit - it was perfect for reassembly .... A goes to B, B goes to C, C to D and on and on.

If you can lay your hands on one of these books grab it with both hands and don't quibble too much about the cost.

Scotty. Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, I dont know if you have a parts manual for your Chev, but I could possibly give you a couple of good leads.

One of these provided me with a Master Parts manual for my Lincoln, and if they can find that, they can find anything...
RTH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original BMC factory manuals were excellent you could trust it to guide you through a gearbox rebuild.
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Scotty, I dont know if you have a parts manual for your Chev, but I could possibly give you a couple of good leads.

Hi UJ,

Sorry - I missed this when you posted it. Embarassed

Yes, that would be useful, although I'm a wee bit short just now but having the contact for the future wouldn't go wrong.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, heres a link to one contact:

http://www.autobooksbishko.com/

If Irv cant help, then I do have a couple here, although one of them takes TIME....... Very Happy
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you UJ.

Just to return the favour - although not for your make, still a useful link if you don't already have it I hope:

Old Chevy On-Line Manuals

Keith, who created the web site must have spent months bringing it all together, quite a feat I reckon.

Scotty. Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links such as these are always useful, even if they aren't for something I own...

Still about manuals, winging its way to me next week from deepest Bavaria is an original Manual for the wee 'un.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: