classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Braided Pump Hose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
eddieg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Braided Pump Hose Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I'm a new member on the forum and I am interested in restoring vintage pumps. I currently have three kismets, three Britich Goodridge and a number of Sutty, Aerite, Dunlop and Desmo pumps.

I've been trying for some time to get hold of some original or replica braided rubber hose and good quality attachments for both ends. Also leather washers to restore the inner pistons where necessary.

Any advice welcome!

EddieG
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EddieG, welcome to the forum. I was at a show a few weeks ago and saw a trade stand with a few original old pump hoses for sale, I should have bought them really, I did kick myself afterwards Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was once told you can get the Leather washers through Halfords, but haven't tried asking the muppets at the local store yet!

I have a few pumps and am looking to buy more, many of which need hoses, and washers, so if you find anywhere give me a shout. The supplier may give us a deal on a job lot of it! hehe

Cheers

Dave
eddieg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: braided hose Reply with quote

Thanks folks for the welcome. I'm going to the classic car show at Blenheim this weekend - so will keep the eyes open!

EddieG
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie, make sure it is still on, I passed the signs for Blenheim Palace the other day and some agricultural show last weekend had been cancelled, worth checking if you've not already Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
eddieg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, just checked and Blenheim is still on at the moment - and the weather looks like it might be on the mend too.

Eddie
eddieg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Making Leather washers Reply with quote

A chap from Australia has just sent me instructins about making leather washers for repairing pumps. Hope he's happy for me to cut and paste here - maybe people have seen it before?

Making and fitting leather washers

The following method is suitable for producing replacement washers for air pumps , airguns , etc.
Although some of the washers have just a retaining screw passing through the centre and some are much bigger and sit around a large brass piston end of about 3 inches diameter ( i.e., as in the Kismet Master , and Sequel ) the way of making them is much the same.
What you have to find is some decent leather that is not too thick ( or too thin ) i.e., nice and manageable . Cut a disc that is approx. half an inch larger all round than the diameter of the pump barrel that it will be running in . This will be the same for the different washers in the multi-barrelled pumps.
Make a central hole – as neat a fit as possible – for the securing screw to pass through ( or a large hole in the case of the Master / Sequel , etc. ).
Leave this new washer to soak in tepid water for a good hour , or even overnight. Now here is the real trick : put the wet washer onto the rod , or large piston and fix it in place with its screw or brass ring , Tighten down firmly. Around the washer place a jubilee clip ( water hose clip ) and tighten it until it is the same diameter as the pump barrel . What you have to do at this stage is to push the edges of the washer with a screw driver against the inner edge of the clip to get rid of the creases as much as you can. Because I make washers fairly often for the same types of pump , I have collected a few small sections of brass tubing to do the job of the jubilee clips , but the method remains the same.
Leave the new washer in place to dry naturally – overnight if necessary , and when dry , pare away any excess bits of leather from around the rim of the clip. You will need a really sharp blade to do this , and try to keep the edge equal all the way round.
Give the washer a good oiling after removing the clip , and insert the piston back into its barrel . Get straight into some serious pumping – and Bob should be your uncle. With the Kismet range – and others with a similar system – make sure to oil often through the hole in the side of the large barrel. Good Luck!
UNQUOTE

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: