classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Petrol Tank Cleaning
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
rustyreks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Cleaning tank bedford truck Reply with quote

I used a product akin to marine clean basically it is a caustic soda type product i used washing soda as its cheap the petrol in the truck had been in there for over twenty years and it reeked like something the cat had dragged in.I used hot water and washing soda a strong mix and left it overnight there was a alot of crud slime and dirt after emptying into drums i pressure washed the tank and amazingly very little rust and very clean much to my surprise came up like new.The total cost no more than about $6.00 of washing soda if there had been bad rust the muriatic acid would be a good fix many products on the market use phosphoric acid it is the best but expensive if you are going to that trouble you are best to seal the tank to prevent further rust i will leave that to you to sort as there are many product on the market in my mind a two pot epoxy of some kind would be a good option.. As there was only a little bit of rust i wasnt going to bother sealing i could add a little oil to stop corrosion or if you didnt want to seal and there is some rust use a fuel filter to catch any rust rather than blocking the fuel line.By the way the old washing soda i used to clean parts after letting it settle i tipped the good stuff into other containers and the old petrol i also used for cleaning parts although dont leave muck metal in it for to long as it dissolves it just as well i had a spare villier carby for my old mower. brentnz
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get lots of products here that you wouldn't see in the UK any more, one can go to Castorama (like B&Q) and buy off the shelf things like hydrochloric acid, peroxide, ammonia etc
I use a cleaner called St Marc it is in crystal form and is diluted as needed, although it contain ammonia it is one of the best cleaners I have ever used, I dilute it and put it in the jet wash tank.

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: