classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Front Hubs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
clascar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Front Hubs Reply with quote

I have removed the front hubs from my 3a Rapier. The bearing caps were full of grease as I expected but my Rootes manual says not to put grease in the caps. Does anyone know which is preferable.
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of grease on the actual bearing, working it well into the rollers. Quarter fill the cap but don't squeeze it in hard. Some caps have a hole to allow excess grease to find a way out, if your cap doesn't have said hole then the excess will not escape and could either push the cap off, or damage the seal.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS 47p2 says, I've done the same on my hunter's front hubs and am sure they r quite similar to yours.
Maybe I have filled half rather than quarter the caps but it should be fine just the same!!
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, what you put in the caps will serve no real purpose. It won't get to the bearings. What you really need to do is to unscrew the hub nut and take the hub to pieces and as 47p2 says squash the grease into the sides of both the inner and outer bearing.

Peter
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course that too has been done, since I have fitted new bearings.
I too think that grease in the cap is useless but we've always done them that way from seeing elder mechanics doing so and therefore kept the tradition going Smile
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Front hubs. Reply with quote

The general pre-packing of grease into the bearings is the norm,but putting a little more into the grease cap is always a good cover for any grease lost if inner seals become damaged.Any rise in friction heat from the loss of lubricant will allow a certain ammount of the grease to find it`s way into the bearing surfaces--thus prelonging the life of the rollers or ball bearings.

Cheers----Ray the Rocker...
clascar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

I agree with all of you, just what I have always done, but the official Rootes manual says differently, (second paragraph from the bottom of the page on the left) I think I will repack the bearings and add a little grease to the dust cap.
Jim Walker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-PACKING hubs is a misleading expression. The hub should be no more than half to two thirds full of grease to allow for expansion of the grease. The hole in the hub cap is to allow the hub to expel air during that expansion. NOT to allow excess grease to escape. I don't think putting grease in the cap is necessary, but does no harm except to sometimes make a mess. Too much though may cause expansion to eject the cap as the hole is really only large enough for 'breathing'

Jim..
clascar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why the manual says not to put too much grease in. The hub seal doesn't run directly on the axle it runs on the bearing spacer which in turn is loose on the axle. Too much grease and it will seep between the packer and axle where there is no seal. Not one of Rootes finest ideas. The dust cap is not vented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: