classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cleaning K and N air filter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Dollina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Cleaning K and N air filter Reply with quote

Have been advised to give air filter a good clean by dipping in petrol - is this the best method? And whats the best method for drying it out afterwards?

Please please forgive my ignorance. I'm extremely new to classics having owned mine for two days! I'm no mechanic but want to learn and sound a bit more savvy when my partner talks about servicing the car which we plan to do this weekend.

Also plan on draining it down. What product is good to flush all the crap out of everywhere?

Thanks in anticipation

Dollina dipping her toe into scary world of girly mechanics! Shocked
Dave M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K+N filters should only be cleaned using their aerosol cleaners. If you dip it in petrol you'll probably damage the fabric inside the filter. After it's been cleaned you then need to re-oil it, again using the K+N oil.

There's a good step-by-step guide on the K+N website at http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm. You'll also find details of their cleaning kits there too.

Be careful with flushing oils & additives. If the engine has lots of sludge and hard carbon deposits (does it look all burnt and crusty when you take off the oil filler cap and peer inside?) there is a risk that the flushing oils will cause these baked-on bits to break off and then get stuck in other parts of the engine. You may be better off just making sure it gets regular oil changes (more frequent than the manufacturers recommend).

Hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: