classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My Amazon on a rolling road
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: My Amazon on a rolling road Reply with quote

Ever since I replaced the single Stromberg carb on my Amazon with a secondhand twin SU set up I have had mixture problems. It would start easily when I enriched the mixture but soot up the front two plugs in a month or so, or if I weakened it, it would run a lot better but become almost impossible to start.

I met a guy who had just started a rolling road tuning business and was keen to resurrect his long experience of tuning SU's on his new high tech set up.

As a birthday present my family gave me the cash to do it so last week I took the car to ATSPEED in Rayleigh Essex (01268 773377). I know lots of you may have already had your car on a rolling road but it was new to me and I found it a fascinating experience that I would like to share.

He started by welding a plug for a lambda sensor in my exhaust downpipe, and the car was then strapped down on his rolling road.

The first run showed it was running rich and recorded a maximum of 65hp at 4400 rpm, and would not rev much higher.

A check of the carbs followed and the ATF in the dashpots was replaced by 20/50 engine oil, and the mixture roughly set. The next run showed the mixture was nearer the optimum but still not quite right so the jets were adjusted while the car was running at about 60 mph (try doing that on the road!) until the optimum was reached.

A full power run now showed 78hp at 5000 rpm, but they thought there was a bit more to come so the needles were shaved a bit by hand and max power went up to 83hp at 5000rpm, but there was a slight flutter at cruising revs, so to make for the best driving experience a little more was shaved from the needles and this gave an extra 5bhp between 3000 and 4000 rpm.

To see (and hear) my car doing 100mph in an enclosed space is exciting and this video gives an idea of the experience.

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3045942710058258802VJqrgw

Original specs say my car should have 115 bhp at the flywheel, and losses to the rear wheels should equal 15-20% plus 10bhp, so mine should have 82-87hp at the back wheels. To hit this figure on a 38 year old engine is a credit to the longevity of Volvo engineering.

The car is transformed, from a lumpy idle, occasional misfiring, and no real top end power, to a crisp engine that pulls like a train.

All in all one of the best birthday presents I could have hoped for.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very worthwhile exercise, I like the fella popping his ear protectors on before going for it Smile I've not had a car rolling road tuned, it goes to show how far a car can drift away from optimum tune without really being noticeable

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, and a great looking Amazon.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price are you looking at for a rolling road tuneup like this?

Cheers
D
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great Brian. The outcome is an all round better car and less fuel, money well spent Very Happy
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: carb adjustments. Reply with quote

HI Brian, it makes you wonder how long you would have put up with that problem,had not the rolling road come to your rescue.
incidently---my volume control was full blast---did`nt have the said ear mufflers handy.Wife is now shouting her orders out.Good video tho.

Cheers Ray the Rocker....
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalbuie wrote:
Great video, and a great looking Amazon.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price are you looking at for a rolling road tuneup like this?

Cheers
D

I hope the garage don't mind me publishing the figure, his rate is £80 per hour plus VAT. I had just over two hours worth but got a bit of discount because he enjoyed working on my car. I would estimate an hour would be a minimum, but he asked me after each run if I wanted him to make further adjustments and do another run, so I could have paid less.

He did tell me that the service can be addictive especially for the racers or performance brigade, they can spend fortunes getting the last ounce of power out of their engines.

I did a run of about 150 miles today and estimate that my petrol consumption is now 33-35mpg against the 20-25 I have been getting while the carbs were out of tune. On that basis I should get my money back in about 3000 miles, as well as having a much nicer drive for every one of the miles.
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.

Sounds pretty good value and well worth it given the result you've got. Definitely worth looking at after any major rebuild - and maybe even a yearly tweak.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looks fun!

Rick do I remember you saying you have a rolling road dismantled in the shed?

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

Looks fun!

Rick do I remember you saying you have a rolling road dismantled in the shed?

Cheers

Dave

I've a portable one, but it doesn't measure anything, I think its just used for 'driving' a car upto speed, to listen out for misfires and the like which otherwise you might not be able to listen out for. There's little rolling resistance so the car accelerates like a rocket - a bit scary to use, whenever I used it I always aimed it away from the garage, in case something in the rollers locked up and I was launched off the rollers Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada in 1966 I got a job with Imperial Oil (Esso) who were opening a chain of 'Auto Clinics'. The center piece was an inspection area with a pit & a rolling road and a viewing area where the customer could watch. The cost was $10 but it was really a sophisticated search for work. We would perform a 100 point check and then 'invite' the customer for an estimate to repair the defects found. I was chosen to be one of the test lane team and this involved driving the cars on the rolling road while pushing buttons to load the engine or dynamically check the alignment of the front end. The bit that I dreaded most was the 'kick-down test'. There you are in an North American monster dancing on these rollers doing 60mph and then you have to unleash a 455 cubic inch demon by kicking it in the ribs AND stay on the rollers. Now that's excitememnt!!!!! Cool

Art
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
I noticed on the video that he had big ring bolts in the floor and was using what looked like ratchet tiedowns to hold the vehicle back.
It would probably be possible to do something similar if you have a good solid concrete base to insert the ring bolts into.

Could even use the bolts as anchors for padlocking the trailer, or other easily lost items, to at other times
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put the Snipe on the rollers a few years back, as you say well worth doing. I can't remember what she ran, but the guys that owned the Roling Road were impressed considering that the engine was standard. They also said it was the quietest car they'd ever had on the rollers!! Wink
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nice car Very Happy are you into original accessories ?? I have a few left over, now I sold my 1970, GT steering wheel, parcel shelf, vanety mirror, etc.

I think I might have a org VOLVO jerrycan also.

I found the paper with chassi no Cool its 355387 here she is at the bottom, reg no BM 51 277 org plates from 1st owner.

http://www.youngtimer.dk/ click on traefbilleder Helsingoer, april 3
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC

I am not really into originality - I use my Amazon most days and so have updated the interior to make it a lot more comfortable.

A few pics of what I have done.

Full leather interior from a Volvo S40, complete with electric adjustments for drivers seat and a lovely period Mota-lita wood rim steering wheel.

My Amazon is the sixth youngest known in the UK (CH No 351642), yours is even newer, right at the end of the production run. The final one was 359918 in July 1970.

Did you know that a GT steering wheel sold for £300 recently on ebay?
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice with the white leather Smile yes I noticed the difference in our chassi numbers, my car has its original front innerwings, and rear wheel arches, plus all the floor, its incredible so little its been welded, but then again it did spend most of its life indoors. I know of 13 Amazons and this is the only one with its ORG innerwings/rear wheel arches. All of interior is also original, the rubber mats are desintegrating under the org Volvo over mats, but apart from that all look GREAT.
I dont know why the B 20 model is made so poorly Confused its both paint/vinyl/crome/engine thats made to a lower standard than the B 18 model Question I like the steering wheel you have in Cool I think Moto Litas are great Wink have you changed your rear axle also?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: