classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Installing a 4 Speed gearbox in an E93A?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
TonyBrooks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Installing a 4 Speed gearbox in an E93A? Reply with quote

I am considering the engineering challenge of changing my 3 speed gearbox in my Typhoon to a 4 speed gearbox. I wish to keep the same E93A engine and do not wish to alter the present torque tube arrangement. An old 50's tuning manual recommends using an MG 'J2' gearbox which can " be bought from a breakers for £2" !!!! Other methods have suggested using a 105E gearbox with a suitable spacer (Smallford Spares sell them) but then I would need to change the diff in the rear axle to allow a prop shaft arrangement and then find a different way of relocating the rear axle. In the perfect world I want to find a gearbox that I can modify the bellhousing to mate to my engine and modify the prop shaft outlet to mate to my torque tube. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back on ebay there was a 4 speed Morris (8?) gearbox that had been converted to fit either an E93A or 100E engine. From memory it was a period conversion, perhaps something else to look into? I'll have a look in some of my old tuning books later to see if any other conversions are mentioned. A trawl through old copies of Car Mechanics magazine might turn up something too.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
James_1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking at doing a conversion like this at the moment and I'm looking into fitting a four speed to my E93A special and I'm looking at fitting a Austin 7 gearbox to mine. I know that E93A engines were often fitted to A7 chassis so it can't to too difficult to do. I have also looked at a Reliant Robin 'box as they are very cheap and are the right size, although these are alloy so a plate would have to be made up. I'll post anything else I find.
Keith D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James

Austin Seven gearboxes were all 3 speed until September 1932. The first 4 speeds were crash boxes, so make sure you get one after August 1933.

Keith D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: