classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Webb lawn mowers
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Webb lawn mowers Reply with quote

Is there anyone on the forum that knows anything about Webb cylinder mowers, the ride on type from maybe the 1950's?
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

No personal knowledge of Webb Lawnmowers but I'll bet someone on this site does:

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall forum member Rustyreks has an interest in all things mower.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M: Thanks for that. As soon as I can manage to take a photo, I will contact them and see if they can help.

Old Nail: Yes, I'm hoping that rustyreks can help as well. I just checked his intro, and he is indeed into Mowers!
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need

http://www.lawnmowerworld.co.uk/

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/

Very Happy

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Old mowers, I have a friend that is really into old mowers, he used to work in a lawnmower dealership, if you can't find the help you need, let me know what you need to know and I will ask him. It might be worth a try!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present, I dont know much about it, I only saw it for the first time yesterday. It was partly hidden under a pile of junk in the place that I will be storing the Lincoln's body. I get the space free, as long as I clear it.

I'm guessing that it must be from the '50's or '60's, but all that I know at present is that it is a Webb cylinder mower with a trailing seat. I'm thinking that even though I dont want any more projects for the time being, it would be neat to restore it and use it to cut the lawn during Summer. We've done our garden is in the english style anyway, and to have this type of mower would be a nice touch.

Does anyone agree or have any other comments?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like the sound of using an old mower in the garden, will look and be good fun!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a 60s mower a few years back, that was a ride on thing - you sat over the rear roller, which was attached via a joint to the back of the mower. Only problem was you sat directly behind the exhaust, which wasn't too clever. When I got the thing running it tore around like a mad thing, can't remember why we didnt hang on to it, it went back to the vendor

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that is a class in the national lawn mowing championships!
alfanut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to like the sound of this old lawnmower thing. I've got an old Webb Whippet mower in the shed that was pretty ancient when it was given to me in the early 70s, along with an even older side-wheel model. Both hand powered but there's also a dead Suffolk Colt, only thirty years old so wouldn't yet count as vintage, but if I didn't rush the restoration then by the time it was finished......
Then I'd need an old trailer to restore to cart them around in, and I couldn't tow that with a modern car could I, etc, etc. The opportunities are limitless Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all these suggestions, I'm beginning to look very favourably on starting this! Laughing
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a cool looking mower, not particularly old, I just like the look of it!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Atco-Royale-B24-ride-on-lawnmower-mower_W0QQitemZ180059244552QQihZ008QQcategoryZ50377QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, that looks very similar to the Webb that is now sitting here...as I said, no more projects for the time being! Ah well.... The biggest difference appearance wise between the Webb and the one pictured is that the Webb has a leather seat! None of this new fangled plastic.

Incidentally, check your PM's!
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've even got a couple of vintage-ish trailers, a proper old mower would look good in either of them!!

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: