classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Need some urgent advice (Round headed bolt)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice paul and hopefully I will have some good luck next wkend trying to pull it out!! Smile
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the misfortune carries on!!
Yesterday went and tried to start the surf blue mini and nothing would start it!!!
Battery is allright so its either theres no spark or fuel starvation!!
Could not have a look yesterday since it was 6.30pm and I didnt have tools at hand so will have to take a look on staurday so the hunter will once again take a back step!!!!

Hope to solve it quickly so that hopefully I can get going on the hunter again!!!
Dodgealpine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & a Happy new year to you all, all this talk of heat is fine this time of year & I know it works. An alternative when heat can be a problem is a product available from any plumbers merchant, it's an aerosol spray used to FREEZE burst pipes! It contracts the offending bolt and you can sometimes here a crack as it frees.- Good Luck!!!
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one I didn't think of that even though I have used it before Shocked

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gents
The page turned round, I got the mini started by changing the plugs, they were a bit black but not bad really so there must be something else but as long as it started I just left it as is!!
As pigtin says if it aint broken dont fix it!!! Laughing
However the plugs were never changed from when I restored about7/8 years ago so it was about time too!!! hehe

I also managed to heat the offending bolt on the hunter and it loosened up, with the help of a smaller socket hammered on and a heat gun!!

Next job will be to weld a nut to the other broken bolts which are in this thermostat housing.
Will have to annoy a relative of my wife (and good friend of mine) since he is a panel beater by trade and has lots of useful tools, many much more then I care to remember!!
So hopefully next saturday will be spent pestering him for some assistance!! Very Happy
oh if I remember to take the camera I'll take some pics!!
SloResto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can endorse some of the other comments about EZY OUT bolt extractors.. if you snap them off you better have a Plan B becuase they are so rendered too hard to successfully drill out.

Patience is a virtue in these situations. If you can get a universal spanner on it that can lock onto the shaft or a small stilsons you may be able to gain some purchase on it. Good luck.
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last saturday went to this friend of mine (had also trouble with my modernish daily since the passenger side electric front window parted company with its support so I got some windcreen sealer from him to put it right) Therefore I took the thermostat housing with me and with some heat from his welder got the bl***y bolts out as easy as ABC without needing anything, just with a gripper!!!

Now have ordered some goodies from Bilt Hamber in order to continue the engine bay tidy up!!

This may it will be 2 years Embarassed since I started the resto on this car and I intend to have it ready by then (hopefully).
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years bob?...what you been playing at? Laughing Laughing

I hope it doesn't take me that long with the Alvis! Confused

glad you got the bolts out ok
jason
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to be honest a lot of the time I just left it be and didnt touch it sometimes for months!!
you'll never take that much with the alvis, u might even have it ready before I do!!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: