classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

tuning '76 midget
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Finch661

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: tuning '76 midget Reply with quote

i have managed to tune my midget (colortuned, carbs balanced, idle set), but for cold starts, i pull out the choke and the rpms only increase by a small about (500-600rpm). what could this be? have i missed something?

thanks
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you pull the choke out there should be a lever on the carb that adjusts the needle jet, this might be needing some adjustment
Finch661

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see a lever, would the "fast idle screw" do the trick?
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No don't touch the fast idle screw

Have a look at this picture. You will notice at the bottom of the picture there is a cold start mechanism. When you pull the choke this lever should move and when it does it moves the jet allowing more fuel and a faster tickover
Finch661

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah im with you! when the choke is pulled, the jets lift up, but again there is only a 500rpm increase, not a lot! i would like a choke idle of about 2000rpm. do you think my mixture is still off??
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Looking at that picture the lever pulls the jet down the needle, I wonder if the piston is supposed to move up as well and if that is sticking under less vacuum than there is when using just the throttle/butterfly flap.

Could either the vacuum passage or the atmospheric inlet be blocked/restricted?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the lever does pull the jet down, this allows extra petrol for cold running. However as far as I can remember the piston is NOT supposed to move up at the same time. The piston should be sitting on its rest until the throttle is opened. There should be a small pin under the carb which if pushed will lift the piston a pre-determined amount and it is used to check when adjusting the mixture.

Check that the piston is resting properly on its stop, that it has the correct oil in it and the damper is giving a reasonable resistance. Check the lever is not worn or bent and is moving freely. It might be worth removing the cable and working the lever to see if it makes any difference, maybe the cable requires adjustment.
Finch661

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right i managed to get the car working (after much faff) i retuned the car (correct idle, good mixture, synced throttles) and then took on the choke. i adjusted it so that by 1/4 out, the car was fully pushing the fast idle screws (before the screws barely toutched the cam) adjusted so that the engine ran at about 2000rpm. once the choke is pulled beyond that 1/4 mark, the jet seats are lifted, enriching the mixture.

the car still needs fettled, but its a lot happier when cold starting (like today)

many thanks for your help Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: