classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

American 1930 Continental 6-cyl engine valve timing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: American 1930 Continental 6-cyl engine valve timing Reply with quote

Gents, I spent today under the bonnet of a pre-war "special" in my official capacity as a classic car fixer. The car is fitted with a 6-cylinder, 2.4 litre sidevalve engine made by the American company Continental and it would originally have been fitted to cars such as Studebaker and Erskine. This particular engine is low-mileage and was rescued from a scrapyard many years back. The owner has stripped, checked and rebuilt it but the engine has not run since being fitted to the "special" - my services were invited because it refused to start, and it still won't.

Although the day ended without the car running, I was able to diagnose that it had absolutely no "suck" through the carb. The manifolding, valves and gaskets all seem good, so there is a big question-mark over the valve timing: I know the timing chain has been replaced and I suspect a mis-timed camshaft.

BUT: Neither I nor the car's owner have any data for this engine's valve timing (open/close angles). Can anyone with the right "vintage" connections help?
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

If nobody here can help you, which I'd be surprised if they can't I can post this question on an old car web site I'm a member of in America if you wish?

Scotty. Wink
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, I'd be delighted if you would, I think I'd stand a much better chance of finding the answer. Thanks. - Glenn
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - perhaps it would be acceptable to give this thread a day or two here for members like Peter, etc to see it as this subject might be right up their street with an answer at their fingertips.

If that's suitable then no need to answer, I'll watch with you to see the outcome. Wink

Scotty.
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: valve timing. Reply with quote

Hi to you glenn,sounds to me like valve timing problems as you presume.
The side valve operation allows the engine to turn over freely without the problems of touching pistons at TDC on the firing stroke.Has the timing gears got opposing markings ? Can the camshaft sprocket be fitted on the camshaft in the wrong place or is it mounted by a woodruff key?
If the manual check is needed----say timed to no1 cylinder,the correct sequence would be---valves rocking on the opposite cylinder to the firing one(no6 )with the piston at top dead centre---if it`s not at TDC then the valve timing is out.

Cheers---Ray the Rocker.....
stuchamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest Stude manuals only go back to 1935.
I've posted a message on the Stude forum for the valve timing and tune-up specs.
I'll post it here as soon as I get an answer there.

Denny
stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reply that I received on the Stude forum. Hope it is of use.

These are the specs for Erskine models 51 & 52 as taken from a 1930 Chiltons guide.

1928 6-51 & 1929-30 6-52

Inlet opens 5 deg. after TDC or 1 1/2 flywheel teeth
Valve clearance, intake & exhaust .008 hot
Spark plug gap .025 1928, .026 1929-30
Point gap .018 1928, .019 1929-30
Spark occurs 7 1/2 deg. after TDC or 2 flywheel teeth with distributor retarded
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: