classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoration on my Hillman Hunter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last saturday manaed to take out the master cylinders together with the pedal box as a whole unit so that I can refurbish it and in the meantime started sanding the other side of the engine bay.
Also took off the solenoid and hi tension cables and gave the same side of the engine a bit of a clean.
Still loads to do yet and the engine will need some sanding and than another clean up in thinner before paint can be applied!!
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pice of progress so far, underside is basically ready, carrying on with the engine and bay at the moment;

ianm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Bob looks good , wish I was that far advanced with my 58 Estate .
hopefully when my mate returns my MIG I can get a bit more done.
Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good and clean, so much nicer to work on than when they are rusty, and covered in old oil!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont tell me rick about dirt and old oil!!
thats how this thing was infact!!!
still have a small amount of degreasing with the engine and bay to do!!
But last saturday have received the items ordered from bilt hamber so surface rust removing will be easier!!!

Hopefully then I will start painting the engine and bay, have already polished the water pump and inlet manifold to go back on, have the radiator to spray yet, servo and the master cylinders!!
When everything goes back on I will try and start it, been a long time since I last started it!!!
Comrade-Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOh Hillman Hunters!!! Fantastic.
One of my all time favourites. [/jealous]
I had this 1977 Hunter Mk4 a few years back, & I still rate it as one of the best cars I ever had.

I remember the 1725 unit had a scroll inside the lower pulley which flicked oil back up to lube the timing chain.
This was great but the seal round mine was so worn the oil poured out all over the road.
Mothers driveway got a good coating once. Boy was she upset !
I also remember that bottom ball joints were a bugger to get hold of come MOT time one year.
I eventually found a bloke with 3 for sale, so I bought them, then flogged the extra n/s joint for twice what I paid the man for the three ! Shocked

Your Hunter looks terrific. Very Happy

Picture taken in 1960??
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks Paul for the comments but its far (very far actually) from perfect!!
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's looking good bob, when you hoping to have it back on the road?

jason
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well who knows, would like to have it ready by next june but dont think I will manage with only saturdays (sometimes not even on saturdays) to work on it!!
still got the engine and bay, interior floor boards to paint, and then start re assembling, service it, ie new oil and filter for the engine, new oil for gearbox and differential, new plugs and leads etc, then upholstery, I m planning on giving the seats to an upholsterer and doing the carpet myself, the original door cards will be left since they r still in good condition, then I also have to trim the boot and take out the dash to trim the upper shelf and the lower shelves beneath the dash since they r looking a bit tired!!
So most probably will be ready by june but 2010 Laughing
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well just keep on at it bob, you'll get there in the end, I'm dreading doing the interior in the Alvis.....we are having the carpets, roof lining and leather done by an upholsterer, but I've to make new plywood door cards! and put a new plywood floor in.........when I get that far Very Happy

jason
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I am in no hurry since when its ready it will be another car for which to pay insurance, road licence, petrol and maintenance!!!
Hopefully it will be classed as a classic vehicle by the board of the transport authority so I will only pay a small amount of road licence (tax) and also a small amount for the insurance so it wont be too much expensive to keep it on the road, unfortunately my 2 minis cannot apply since first of all the car has to be original or restored back to original and the cut off date is 1974 whilst my minis are 76 and 77!!!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this weekend continued degreasing the engine (final one with thinner before first coat is applied) and degreasing the front part of the underside beneath the engine bay and also degreased the front cross member beneath the engine and painted it in satin black!!
looking better now!!
Also bought some blue hammerite(smooth finish) for the engine, not an exact match but I prefer it to the original which was a bit too dark and looked very similar to the car's colour.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This saturday didnt have the time to do anything but sunday had a couple of hours in the morning and so, degreased the engine with thinner just to make sure there was no dirt and applied first coat to the upper part from the block upwards, did not touch the top cover as that will be taken off and sprayed.
Hopefully nest saturday will be spent dealing with the lower bit, ie the sump and give a second coat to the rest!!
Will also try and make a start on the bay!!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised ( Laughing ) last saturday I gave a first coat to the sump and a second to the engine, also gave a second coat to the engine support (crossmember) and front stabilizer.
Its looking much better now!!
Next step will be the engine bay!!
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday finished the rad and servo, will post some before and after pics when I take some!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: