classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Gearbox goo - which?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
jessejazza

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Gearbox goo - which? Reply with quote

I'm just in the middle of a gearbox rebuild.

As one of the gaskets isn't available and it is a bit fiddly to make up one i was thinking of using a goo. I think that is what someone used on the entire gearbox on a previous car - pro rebuild i think. Is it green Hermetite that is used as it is hard setting as opposed to the red which is semi hardening?

Instant gasket i have heard people speak good of... i tried it once and didn't think much of it but i do believe in "goo speak" - they must be correctly applied [which may not necessarily be what is in the instructions.

e.g. hylomar - does work well but needs 3/4 hour to virtually dry hard and then works fine rather than the 10 or 15 mins on the instructions.

What have other folk done in a similar situation.
thanks
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have good surfaces I use Hylomar but if they are a bit ify or flexible I use instant gasket. The trick to using instant is to put an even layer on one surface then gently press the other surface into place but DO NOT tighten. Leave the instant to cure for an hour(ish) and then do the final tighten. Always when using any compound that sets leave a bit on some paper so you can see if it has set without disturbing the job.
Dax Rush
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick thought: Be careful if the gasket was part of the tolerance stack up in the assembly Gaskets can be anything from a couple of thou (0.05mm) to 0.030 (0.75mm) thick. Instant gasket will reduce this to almost nothing and you may end up overtightening bearings etc.
Paul
jessejazza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - good point however this gasket is a thin paper one on the rear cover so i don't think it'll matter. It's just too fiddly to cut from thin gasket paper.

Nic - thanks for the tip i think i'll have to try instant gasket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: