classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Midget drain plug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Midget drain plug Reply with quote

does anyone know the size of square wrench socked that is used to remove the rear differential drain/top-up plug? i ordered one from mgocspares but it was the wrong one.

thanks
oh itsfor a 76 midget 1500

Smile
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if they are still easily available but Motor factors etc always had that tool that had about 6 or 8 different sizes of square sockets for gearboxes and diffs etc Try Halfords too if you have them across the border

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence....

Last summer I was visiting with my neighbor who was fuming over the fact that he had lent out his double ended universal square ended wrench, and now the guy who borrowed it couldn't find it. Sad

My neighbor was in the process of fabricating one for the gearbox top up on one of his classics. Rolling Eyes Idea

He had taken some cling film wrap and some Polyfilla, mixed with paint. It dries harder.

He had put the cling film into the recess and filled it with the Polyfilla mix. He then covered it with a piece of plastic, an old coffee can lid, and used a combination of duct tape and some pieces of wood to press the coffee can lid against the side of the gearbox.

The following day, or so, he removed the Polyfilla plug, by gently pulling on the edges of the cling film.

He then put the vernier gauge on the Polyfilla plug and transfered those measurements to a piece of hardwood which he carefully cut, sanded and tested for fit.

After that he made an identical plug from a piece of steel bar and welded on a handle.

Hey Presto, out came the plug.... Cool

A week or so later, his multi-square wrench re-appeared on his doorstep with a bottle of Rye and a note of apology.

The guys made up and lived happily ever after. Very Happy
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney is correct and they are available but because they are a taper when you put pressure on them they tend to slip out. My Midget diff had never been touched and the plugs were not coming out without a fight. I removed the diff and then drilled out the plugs. I then cut a slot with a junior hacksaw and a tap with a drift and hammer, out they came.

I replaced them with Allen key plugs, from MGOC.

Dax Rush
Finch661

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys. it looks like the drain socket i was sent would fit the replacement plug as shown above, the problem is that i have the old square type.

i managed to get the gear box oil changed (BIG FAFF.. NEVER AGAIN) and the engine oil. the actual drain plug on the diff is fine and turns, but its the refill plug that wont budge (after loads of free and release, and a big hammer). will need to think of a new strategy.....
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try undoing it when the axle is hot after a good run - it almost invariably works with taper plugs whether steel or brass unless the hole/slot/hex has been very badly butchered
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Finch661

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good plan, i will try that at the weekend!
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always sounds illogical. but such things often respond to a minor tighten first, before you attempt to undo them!
PAUL
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called a "Drain plug key - Draper No.1"

I don't think they are that good if the plug is a bit stuck but they do have a nice blade that is good if you grind a slot in the plug.
Dax Rush
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... i want one. i bought a feable set from halfords, which arent tapered, and come with a small lever to turn them.... couldnt cope with the rear diff. i will coat it with some release oil, take it for a nice drive and see if i can get it off. juding by what came out of the gearbox, im guessing the oil needs changed asap
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also try arranging a bottle jack under the end of the wrench. This would give you the weight of the vehicle as a steady force.

If it is possible to extend the wrench then the applied force would be considerably more than you are able to apply.

Gently and carefull apply a little heat around the casting about 2 inches from the plug as the heat spreads towards the plug it may just give enough expansion of the casing to let the plug rotate.

Also, as Phil mentioned you could try the jack thing after taking the car for a run. Lift up the back end on the wrench and let it stand there.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like to change oil regularly so I thought "While Finch is doing his I will do mine". I changed it 18 months ago and the old stuff was really grim. Could I find the 9mm Allen? No.
Dax Rush
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Drain plug Reply with quote

Had the same problem with the filler plug on my Rover P3 in the end I used a little bit of localized heat and that did the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: