classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stacker truck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Stacker truck Reply with quote

Hi

Not stickly restoration, but it is old, and I am trying to fix it, if anyone has any ideas speak up, as I can't think what to do now?

Brakes, I hate brakes! I have been doing them on the Stacker truck recently, had the drums off several times, and now I don't have sharp brakes there are no brakes, bled them right up, several times including using that power bleeding thing, and still nothin until you pump them. I have seen big brakes but the drums were about an inch thick, was a shock when I dropped them off, they fell straight on the floor! The other thing is you have to take the halfshafts out to get the drums off!

Cheers

Dave
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Pumping implies that they aren't adjusted properly. Have you replaced the linings? They may have to be radiused to suit the drums. Needing bled only give you a mushy/soft pedal.

Art
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The shoes are not brand new, but are not old, and are huge, both in area and more importantly thickness.

I have adjusted them up quite tight, each time, but the peadal just seems to apply them second time round. With 3 ton on the front you don't want to be pumping the brakes, as we found! Shocked

So do you think new shoes might help? Will mean dismantling again, you also can't adjust the shoes without the wheels off.

Cheers

Dave
52classic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the flexi pipes are shot.

Balooning instead of applying pressure to the cylinders.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Whenever a second pump gives good brakes, it has to be the flexibles.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say the same, but it has no flexi pipes as the brakes only are aplied to the front wheels which are fixed ofcourse. The pipes have been checked for splits and kinks as they are all of about 20cm long to the master cylinder! hehe

Cheers

Dave
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Hi to you Buzzy----there are two options to consider,pumping the pedal with a spongy feel or solid feel.As you`ve discounted bleeding the system does`nt attribute anything---i would try to find out if the actual piston movement gap between the shoe and the cylinder is excessive.Could be that the internal spring has`nt been fitted which allows the piston to bottom out inside the cylinder.Thus leaving a gap between the shoe and the pivot locating the piston.it then takes a couple of pumps to create a decent pedal.

Cheers---Ray the Rocker....
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Brake adjustment Reply with quote

I know it sounds daft but have you turned the adjusters the right way? I did a bedford truck many years ago and spent many hours bleeding the systom before I realized I had turned the adjusters the wrong way instead of pushing the shoes out at the top near the brake cylinder the adjusters had rotated round and pushed the shoes out at the bottom so they felt like they were adjusted but the cylinders still had to push the shoes all the way out taking up all the peddle movment
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I did wonder this the first time round, but I did do them right yeah. I have them in bits again now, and am going to have new or recon master cylinder and slave cylinders, and see if that does anything, of course new shoes too, whilst I am at it!

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: