classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pierburg Carbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Tripleman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Pierburg Carbs Reply with quote

I have a 2E pierburg carb on a 1987 1275 Polo that is causing some grief at the moment.

Bit of a story attached but basically the old carb got damaged when a fuel line split over a hot engine a couple of years back. As I needed to get it going again pronto I managed to find a replacement from a slightly later Golf and having swapped over the auto choke mechanism and cable attachment it all ran well for a while except in the initial warm up stage. I then parked it up for a couple of years and although she starts and runs there is a problem of idling and spluttering on the over run.

At first she wouldn't idle at all but I have since taken out the jet and blown it through with compressed air before replacing and adjusting to a brisk tickover, it's either this or she cuts out completely. I noticed when taking it out that the pin hole at the lower end of the jet is blocked, should this be so? The jet also appeared to be ever so slightly bent as well. The local VW dealer tells me that the part should be available new but he needs the chassis number of the donor car, is it that critical or will any jet do from a 1300?

She also coughs and splutters on the over run although acceleration is smooth and brisk.

Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: