classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Liners
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Liners Reply with quote

I will have to have new liners fitted to the Morris 8. I have been given the name of Cambridge Rebores. Has anyone had any experience of them? Please PM me. Has anyone got some std size pistons? 57mm I think.
Dax Rush
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nic

Never used the engineering firm you mention. I recently had the same work done on my Morris 8, the liners are available off the shelf from Westwood Liners
http://westwoodcylinderliners.co.uk/index.php/products/size/

The ones you want are part number WCL 2 ( I think they were about £24 each and they will do next day delivery), any engine engineering shop will be able to fit them for you. The thing you need to make sure they do is chamfer the bottom of and side of the liners; Morris 8 piston’s are fitted from the bottomed of the block, whist it is possible to get a piston ring compressor in with the crank out and the engine out on the bench its virtually impossible to replace a piston later with the engine in situ (certainly not with the crank in), if the bottome of the liner is not chamfered.

The side of the liners need a tapered chamfer to allow the rod clearance, when I had mine done they didn’t quite take enough metal out and the rod scraped the bore slightly, I cured it by taking a bit more metal out with a die grinder, a bit nerve racking when you have just spent a load of cash on machining!!.

All they need to do is copy chamfering on the current liners.

If its an Series E block or crank/ rods you are using, the pistons come to within a 1/16” of the top of the block, if you are having the bock surfaced just make sure there is enough clearance for the pistons to go to the top without being proud of the block, if the are,they will need to take a small amount off the top of the pistons. The pre E and white metal bearing cranks/ rods have about an 1/8” clearance so usually not a problem.

I’m pretty sure that I have a brand new set of standard pistons and rings, will check tonight.

Cheers Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: