classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

my car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
vintagekatie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: my car Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Tim (Katies partner), I'm not sure what constitutes a classic car these days as everyone has their own definitions but I think its whatever you drive for pleasure - so here's what I drive for pleasure

[img]
[/img]
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without doubt that is a classic - much nicer than the later ones. Unusual colour too - tell us more
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is rather nice.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
vintagekatie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 1969 1.6 gtxl and as you said an unusual colour but not the cars original clothing, although it is a genuine ford colour from the time (FEU316 red) taken from their paint list I'm not sure it was ever offered on any Capri's, at least not UK ones as I've not seen another like it - in the flesh its much more of a crimson colour than the Sebring red capris. Apart from the new paint (2004) and refurbished Rostyles (2005) it is a totally original, unmolested 54000 miler
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car Cool
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile Smile
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Smile Smile
poodge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to drive in one exactly like that in 1969 in Holland.But it was only a 1300 on steel wheels!All show,no go.
This was just after the Capri was released for sale,and whilst passing a couple of young boys in the street,one was heard to remark:oooooh,a Capri!The instructor muttered under his breath:"I'm sick of this #%#$% car already."
Oddly enough,that particular Capri must have been a monday or friday car.It broke down with monotonous regularity.
I completed my driving lessons in a VW beetle running on LPG.
Yours is in absolutely stunning condition.May you have many more years of enjoyment out of it.Yours must be one of the few 1600's left.Most local ones were fitted with v6's from dead mkIV's,orworse still,various makes of V8.
PACresta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice car you have there, i agree that the earlier Capri looks much more stylish than the later ones.
vintagekatie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments all, I have to say I agree with you that they look more stylish than the mark 2 and 2and a halfs partly, in my opinion, because they are a proper 2 + 2 FHC, a little lower and a little leaner and unencumbered with modern trappings surprisingly nippy - I'm not being bias because my daily hack is a 1985 1.6 Laser, still great fun but the mark one makes me smile just a little bit more! Very Happy Very Happy
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a lovely example of the breed. Did you see the programme about Ford in the days on BBC4? It's been on a few times so if not it'll come around again.

Why is it that as a model gets older it puts on weight and loses its looks? Just look at an XK120/150 or a Series 1/3 E type comparison for example. I am sure you can think of plenty more but those came off the top of my head.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:

Why is it that as a model gets older it puts on weight and loses its looks? Just look at an XK120/150 or a Series 1/3 E type comparison for example. I am sure you can think of plenty more but those came off the top of my head.

Yes, but it's always been like that - just look at early and late Model T Fords, or better still, compare 1923 Austin Seven Chummy and 1937 Ruby.
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Looks a lovely example of the breed. Did you see the programme about Ford in the days on BBC4? It's been on a few times so if not it'll come around again.

A bit like my ex-wife Laughing Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:

Why is it that as a model gets older it puts on weight and loses its looks? Just look at an XK120/150 or a Series 1/3 E type comparison for example.

The E type is a good example. Probably a good example of Lyons selling out to BL or some such letter set. I seem to think that the acceleration and top speed figures of the E type hardly changed over the years despite gaining quite a few horses on the way. After the rocker switches arrived on the dashboard the rot had truely set in.

Gosh! Maybe this rant should be in the new rant thread.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: