classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

car won't move
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
bopper59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: car won't move Reply with quote

hi,
i reluctantly sold my ford consul mk2 lowline, when the guy came to collect it we found we couldn't move the car, the car as i thought was in neutrel because i was getting the car running, now you can't move the gear stick and the clutch pedal travels to the floor even though there is fluid in the resevoir,
can anyone put light on the matter and is there anything i can do to get the car rolling
many thanks
mark
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bopper,

If it's just to get the car moving so the buyer can take it away you could disconnect the propshaft at the diff. and tie it up.

Otherwise locate the problem. While someone presses the clutch for you you can see if the release arm is moving. First try bleeding. Next squeeze the boot at the pedal side of the master cylinder. Any fluid indicates the M/S is duff. Do the same on the slave cylinder. The gear shift: Disconnect the 2 shift levers from the column and see if the shifter moves. If it does the fault is in the gearbox.

Art
bopper59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: car won't move Reply with quote

many thanks
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure if it is the same on a consul, but one thing that happens on a few motorcars I have looked at, is the piston where it pushes on the arm to activate the release bearing, the piston pushed right through that arm. simple repair to get you going, plate between the two.

Probably not the same, but thought I would mention it! Very Happy

Other option, just winch it on the trailer, but then getting it off, is more fun! hehe

Cheers

Dave
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the slave cylinder seal is knackered

if you want the clutch in to move it, instead of removing the prop, ratchet strap the release arm so as to depress the clutch
bopper59

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: car won't move Reply with quote

thanks for all your advise guys, car is now sorted, fiddled round with the gear linkage under the bonnet and i can get all three forward gears and reverse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: