classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any idea what point gap should be on a two stroke barkas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Any idea what point gap should be on a two stroke barkas Reply with quote

Hi any idea what the gap should be on a two stroke barkas.Also there is 3 sets of points i have been told you can move each of them or all tree together so what way do you and how do you set the gap thanks Pete
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what it should be, I'd set them to 20 thou and then measure the dwell (beg steal or borrow a dwell meter) see what the dwell looks like and re adjust the points as needed.

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought its a 2 stroke 4 cylinder ? will a dwell meter work accuratly on 2 stroke? if so do you have to half the result? ........can't think brains fried had a mad week thank god its Friday!! Confused Confused Confused
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi its a 3 cylinder thanks
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, three sets of points on a 4 cylinder? Lay down in a dark room for a while. Rolling Eyes Points cam on a 2 stroke are normally on the end of the crankshaft with a back plate which 1 set is "fixed" and the other 2 are independently moveable on an adjusting cam, ie suzuki gt 380, 550, 750 also kawasaki H1 H2 and kh250. Can anyone think of a 4 cylinder 2 stroke?
Dax Rush
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three sets of points 3 cylinder engine not four.Whats happening i have sparks at the spark plugs put it still will not start.I have put petrol down the carb it still will not start.The last owner put new points in but not sure if they was set correct.So i would like to know how i set the three lots of points.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Found this on Wiki
Quote:
B1000 production started in 1961 and continued until 1991. Originally the B1000 was powered by the 45 PS[1] three cylinder, two stroke DKW derived engine found also in contemporary Wartburgs

So perhaps the Wartburg owners club http://www.ifaclub.org.uk/ might be able to help.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run 3 cylinder T/s AU/DKWS with points for each of the 3 coil. each set had to be timed individually on each cylinder and the points gap was standard 15thou. Each set of points had its won condesor too.

This set up could give strange problems with so many variables for each individual cylinder.

Too wide a points gap will give a poor spark - the gap si set for optimum performance for each engine.

What is the engine make Villiers?
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi phil not sure about the makers name.I just thought it was a barkas engine made by barkas same engine as the wartburg engine.It may not be the points just thought ifi know how to set them up i could check them.I smoke to sam glover who writes for one of the classic books,he use to own it he said it was runningThanks Pete good when he had it.But the last owner put new pints in it.I havetryed puting a little petrol down the carb still will not start,someone said try a little down the bore.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wartburg engine was virtually a copy of the DKW engine as they were split up after the 2nd WW. SAAB used a similar engine but with a dizzy

Both DKW/Wartburg and from what you say Barkas is likely to have used one or the other used the triple points set up run direct from the front end of the crankshaft.

It should be obvious on the CB fixings which moves the whole points to time the engine and which is used to set the gap.

The procedure is to set the gaps first. Then position the whole base place to which the poisnts are screwed centre in its two slotted fixings

Then time each set for its cylinder by removing all 3 plugs and turning the engine clockwise until the piston is at the correct point BTDC. Use a depth or dial gauge in the plug hole. The whole points are turned and positioned so they are just opining (find this point by connecting a test light which will go out when the open. Tighten up fixing screws and turn engine 1 complete revolution and wahtch light to ensure it goes out when piston is at right poistion. You mak have to do this several times.

Repeat on the other 2.

It does not take very long onec you get the knack and provided you do not disturb the points base fixings teh whole timing as be precisely set for all 3 by just turning the big base plate to get optimum performance.

If condensors are faulty fit stardard "modern" car/motorcycle ones of similar size/fixings.

If the points are Bosch you will probely be able to find similar but I would get in tough with the DKW and Wartburg Owners clubs - there is another one too that caters for these types of cars.

I have not dealt with DKW's over 30 years and hav esold all my literature/spares not long ago so all this is from memory
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thank you Phil very greatfull
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: