classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Endfloat tolerance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Endfloat tolerance Reply with quote

Could any of you hazard a guess to what the layshaft endfloat should be on a 1939 morris 8 gearbox?

Ta

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

If you can't find anything authoritive how about 5 thou?

Peter
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, do you have a problem with your gearbox? I try to work on the theory that if there are no obvious signs of wear then it is OK. I am having a lot of fun with my engine. I have realised that the main bearing holders are line bored so you have to keep the same holders in the correct place and orientation. This pre-war stuff is quite different. Wink
Dax Rush
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan was to give the gearbox a clean and a coat of paint! as I knew it worked, how ever the input shaft had a lot of play and as the box is out I decided to sort it out.

With the box out you can dismantle it, replace the 3 bearings and have it back together with in an hour Very Happy As its in bits I thought I'd also replace the oilite bushes on the layshaft, and reverse gear. The layshaft has trust washers at each end (they look like copper) and there is about 20 thou endfloat which seems a bit much, but non of the manuals give a spec for this, I was thinking it should be sub 10 thou which coincides with Peters thoughts (thanks Peter).

I have also looked at the castings at each and and figured out there is plenty of metal to machine some grooves for modern oil seals to replace the felt ones!!

Hmmn I do like the adage "If it aint broke don't fix it " Ill try and stick to it next time Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes : Rolling Eyes
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gearbox is OK so I am going to leave it alone. It is probably the only bit that is OK. As soon as I get some gaskets I will fire up the engine.
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: