classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

S type steering problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: S type steering problem. Reply with quote

I have been working on a friends 1966 S type Jag and there is a loud clonk in the steering..we tightend up the free play in the power steering box..it wasn't bad at all but we thought that was the main problem.
Later in the day we discovered that a recently renewed steering swivel had broken up..again. The steering swivel was less than 3 months old..it was renewed because the last one done the same..apparently this is common and the modern reproduction nylon swivels are all the same.
My question is this..would making the swivels out of bronze be a good move..would they last and would they cause damage to the housing?
The power steering pump..

The swivel end..

The swivel end with it's broken nylon balls..

The swivel housing..

peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I contacted my friend Alastair Reynolds who has tackled most S type problems. His advice is as follows:

"I have advice but few listen, it is a well known problem says Ken Jenkins of JEC. The basic problem is the worm in the box, it wares unevenly. If you shim it up it becomes too stiff in the extremities. You don't necessarily notice as it is a power box. That is why the nylon bushes shear. Making them of bronze will not alter the problem. Fit either a 420 box (that is better) or a rack and pinion conversion. The 420 box needs a 420 front axle and different brakes of course."

Peter
john-saab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that..we did indeed find that the box was too tight and i noticed a little wear on the "worm"..we re shimmed the box to free it up a bit and the steering now feel lighter. More nylon bushes will be ordered today so i will fit them and see if it lasts longer..if not we will go down the 420 route but that might be a problem as this car is used for classic rallies..it might not be allowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: