classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Saw it, loved it, bought it! 103E Pop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bertie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Saw it, loved it, bought it! 103E Pop Reply with quote

Hello again! My name is Alan, and I joined the site a few days ago. I`m a mobile mechanic, and have been for 35 years or so. I`m used to working on beasts with computer controlled everything where parts and prices are straight from star wars. It`s a living and I enjoy it mostly, but I`m a seat -of-the-pants old school person where i still use my eyes and ears to diagnose and solve problems. In the early days it was easier! So, it comes as no surprise to learn that every now and again, i browse classic sites to hopefully find a little old beastie within my limited price range. One night, I found such a creature. It was very cheap, and it wasnt selling, so I bit the bullet and phoned the guy.Yes, it was still for sale, and it was in wiltshire-and I`m in coventry! So, me and my other half went to see it on the 27th september. I have to say, right away, I wasnt leaving without it. It ran-badly, but nothing that couldnt be corrected easily ( carb ), all the gears went in easily, no jumping out of gear, the brakes worked, and he (yes, already! lol) was so much better than I thought he would be. I did the usual haggling, and got him £100 cheaper, with a full tank of fuel to boot.....and off we went, back to coventry. It was an epic journey, as Bertie (my dad had a `48 morris E called Gertie, it was in keeping!) went well, but didnt really feel "happy" over 50ish, bless him, much to my other half`s dismay! We ( Bertie ) broke down 3 times during our journey back ( the dreaded engine block to fuel pump heat transfer problem causing fuel evaporation), but with a little understanding (a litre of cold water over the fuel pump) we were on the move again, and eventually arrived back. I emerged from Bertie with a grin from ear to ear, the last 20 miles being driven with his little tea-light headlights showing all of 2 yards in front of me....My love affair had just begun......My little old Ford Popular 103e, 1172 sidevalve 10 hp, had just done more miles in the last 3 hours than he had done in the past 3 years. Cheers for reading this, when i get the hang of "url" (what i want to do to this computer when it plays up-often- lol!) I`ll be posting some pics of him...thanx and ttfn... Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along Bertie - you're among several sidevalve owners on here!!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.............................and so the love affair grows.

Great intro story.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel vaporsiaton is a real problem with many older cars as the petrol is far more volatile and there still may be the "summer" stuff in some tanks?

It is worse with old worn pumps however particularly mechanical but replacement with a a discrete modern electric one will sort this for good although I would expect yours should have an electric SU which if in tip top condition should cope.
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Sixx NZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... We are POP' ing up like mushrooms.
I'm a newbie too and have just purchased a 103E Ford Popular.
No name yet but they are great little cars.

Welcome to the group.

Sixx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: