classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Use of electric fans on thermally-cooled Pop?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Use of electric fans on thermally-cooled Pop? Reply with quote

My Pop doesnt have a water pump and is cooled by the natural progress of heated water through the rad and back through the engine. Would it be an improvement/assistance to this process to add a thermostatically-controlled electric fan onto the radiator? I know this helps pumped cooling systems, but I'm wondering if it would have the same beneficial effect on a thermo-syphon cooling system?

I'm guessing it would be helpful, but has anybody tried it?? Rolling Eyes
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

|Mello,

I'm sure if you look around you might find a water pump for it. They were fitted to export models of the Anglia (and probably Prefects) and were available here as an option. My uncle had one on his Anglia.

Art
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part a correctly working thermosyphon cooling system is OK. If you are experiencing overheating you need to check out why. If you use the vehicle in a lot of slow moving traffic foe example a fan may help. I have recently been discussing this with the folks at Kenlowe for a specific application. They were most helpful
PAUL
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What voltage is your Pop? I was thinking about the same thing for my 8, and I may bolt a 4 blade fan onto the dynamo. Always use de-ionised water and anti-freeze.
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans do very little to help the cooling of any water cooled engine with a front radiator while the vehicle is in motion. Being a means of preventing overheating when stationary. Which is why viscous fans and feathering fans were popular before electric fans took over. Much better effect would be investigating the posiibility of an aftermarket water pump or ducting as much air as possible into the radiator.
These cars ran happily for years as built. If overheating is occuring now I would suspect radiator blocking both for water flow and AND air flow through the radiator matrix. The idea that flies and leaves etc in the radiator matrix may be significant seems to be often overlooked. Other overheating causes may be ignition timing or carburation.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would wash the core of the radiator externally, then if it is suspected as being blocked, boil it up etc.

I looked into fans, and a good way to mount a fan is inside the grill infront of the rad, pushing air through, I know it may interupt the air flow a little, but there is normally lots of room in this area, and they are quite big radiators, being thermo syphon. Have a look at a motorbike fan, can be picked up cheaply in a scrapyard, as they tend to be small, thin, fairly pwerfull, but not sap lots of energy! Are you on 6V or 12V, eitherway fans to suit both are available.

You can get a pump conversion for sidevalves I am sure I have seen them in the past!

Cheers

Dave
Mello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice folks. Smile

I should add that the car is 6 volt and is not currently overheating, but I'm just pre-empting any issues, given the lack of a water pump!

I'll look into your suggestions and update once I've thought about it... Rolling Eyes
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought about fitting a water pump. Just fitting a pump might lead to overcooling, causing performance and fuel economy problems. Most thermo-syphon cooling systems did not include a thermostat. If a pump is added, a thermostat should be also. 'Stats which fitted in the top hose used to be available. Not sure if they are still obtainable.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Jim, reading your post, I instantly thought of the top hose ones, I think they are still available, as have seen a few of them used on recent restorations, not sure who from though.

Cheers

Dave
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 103e is totally standard and I have not had the slightest problem with overheating with the original thermosyphon system, even in traffic.
As previously mentioned, if all the passageways, two hoses and radiator are all clear, I would leave well alone.
That is, of course, you are going to keep the engine standard and not going in for time trials and hill climbing Smile Smile
Just be careful with that gas pedal, as we all know the 103e has 'Neck snapping' accelleration! Smile Smile
All the best,
Greg
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DLM1 with an E93A and full Aquaplane spec's has the aquaplane water pump fitted.

It has no fan fitted, not even to the front of the dynamo and the water temp. has never been critical

My only problem was fuel, heavy traffic the water temp never got too hot, and if it had been stationary for a while just thinking about touching the throttle it would die.
Park up for 15-20 minutes and away again.
The carbs would get too hot to touch, would idle with no problem.

I do have an electric fuel pump as well but will have try and isolate the carbs this rebuild.
Mind you now living out of London might help as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: