classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Clearing a fuel tank pick-up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Clearing a fuel tank pick-up Reply with quote

I've been looking into a fuel supply issue I've got - the mechanical AC pump works ok, and the line to the tank blows through ok. I think the problem is in the tank - with the tank removed and on the floor, it looks like there is a steel pick-up pipe that enters the tank, curves up, then down to the base of the tank, with what must be some kind of filter attached to it. I've tried blowing compressed air into the tank outlet, but none seem to be getting through, and I've tried poking wire (an old choke cable) in, with equally unimpressive results.

Anyone have any other ideas for clearing a blocked pick-up, when the end of the pipe and filter is inaccessible???

thanks, R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure pickup pipe is not removable? Can you see end of through tank-level sender? Otherwise send high pressure air through - it may blow gauze/filter off end of pipe and then just rely on an inline filter and sediment bowl

Otherwise it is down to cutting an access hole and soldering back on or another tank.
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a vacuum cleaner sucking on the pipe ?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, have you tried dropping a magnet on a piece of string or stiffish wire (the type of curtain wire used with lace curtains etc. is good) down the filler hole into the tank to see if your problem is rust scale?
Many older cars suffer from that, particularly if the tank has been left empty for some time, letting damp air in. It is often amazing how much rust can collect in a tank and these particles, being flat scale, can gather to form a good seal.
I had similar trouble and I drove around for some time with the magnet in, cleaning it from time to time. Eventually it picked up no more rust and I removed it. That was 25 years ago and I have had no trouble since!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can you get a pressure washer into the tank, through the sender to aim at the pickup, then on hot or steam, give it a good going, also some decent detergent incase it is all gummed up?

Other option, some decent solvent maybe?

Cheers

Dave
john-saab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a more drastic measure if you can get to the pipe inside of the tank..cut it off and attach a new hose with a new filter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: