classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Leaf spring spreaders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Leaf spring spreaders Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend suppliers of leafspring spreading tools??

I managed to fit my pickups transverse front spring using a combination of jacks, G-Clamps and so on in a slightly heath-robinson approach, but I know that I'll not always be able to lash up a fitting method like this.

cheers
Rick
www.oldclassiccar.co.uk
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
I'm not sure what you mean by a spreading tool. What is it you are trying to do to the spring?
Got any pics?

Denny
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: tool Reply with quote

Its a tool that spreads (ie widens) a leaf spring, so that it reaches the pickup point/mounting at either end (where the shackle pin plates attach).

I had 2 front springs to choose from for my E83W pickup (single transverse leaf to the front axle, bit like an AC Cobra!!!), one slightly shorter than the other (both NOS parts). The longer one I could just about get to fit ok, the shorter one, that needed spreading/widening a bit more, wasn't getting close without the proper tool.

the tool I guess compresses/flattens the spring (you wind it down with the tool I think), thus slightly extending its overall length, just enough to fit onto the axle.

cheers
Rick
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I looked at the chassis diagram on your E83W site and it doesn't appear any different than most transverse springs that I've seen.
If the spring is correct and the shackles are correct it should just align and bolt up.
If the spring has a little to much arch and is short, unhook the frt shocks & anything else that will prevent the axle from moving side to side. Install one side of the spring. On the other side, place a wood block between the spring and the frame and use a floor jack to raise the axle up to meet the spring or shackle.
If it still dosen't reach, place another wood block next to the first one and use a long pry to push down on the spring to flatten it more. You may need a second pair of hands to help align and bolt it together.
I hope this all makes sense. Good Luck !!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: spring thing Reply with quote

Howdy

Yeah your solution is kind of what I did, I wasnt able to compress the shorter spring enough as all I was doing was lift the vehicle off the axle stands once part of its travel had been taken up when jacking the free end of the spring up to the axle. The weight of the vehicle wasnt enough to jack the spring up against, I think that was the problem really.

A 2nd pair of hands wasnt available at the time but it may have made things easier!

cheers
RJ
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine out of the truck ?
Another trick to keep a light frame from lifting is to wedge a long 4x4 post between the frame and ceiling rafter in the garage.
I usually nail or screw a metal strap around the rafter to the post in case it slips out. Might hurt a bit if the post falls on your head. :D

Hopefully you won't jack the garage roof up ! :D
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: nope.. Reply with quote

engine was in!!

I hadnt thought of blocking the chassis to the roof structure mind you, although I have visions of it slipping and punching up through the roofing sheet!!! could all get quite 'exciting' !!!!!

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: